You’ll never want plain old sugar cookies again after you try these! The lemon flavor is obvious but does not overtake the cookie. The cookie is soft and almost like a cross between sugar cookie and shortbread. The frosting is a must and ties everything together in a beautiful and delicious bow. I dare you to just eat ONE cookie. It’s impossible.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1 cup sour cream
- Zest from 2 lemons
- 1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sour cream
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Zest from one lemon
- Dash of salt
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line 3 cookies sheets with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Make the dough: add butter, shortening, sour cream and zest to mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Mix for one minute on a low speed. Add in sugar and vanilla, mix until smooth. Add in the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix on low speed until the dough comes together and flour disappears.
- Form the cookies: Use a cookie scooper (about 1 1/2 Tbsp dough) and scoop the dough onto a cookie sheet.
- Flatten the cookies: Use the bottom of a glass to flatten the cookies. They aren’t supposed to look perfect, they will be “rustic” on the edges.
- Bake for about 10 minutes. They won’t look brown or “done.” Let them rest on the pan for about 3-5 minutes and then remove the cookies and let them cool on a cooling rack.
- Make the frosting: Beat the butter, sour cream, powdered sugar, lemon juice, zest and salt together in a bowl. Add in the milk and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Frost the cookies: Once the cookies are cooled use a butter knife to generously frost the cookies.
- Eat and enjoy! Freeze leftovers in an airtight container. I like to microwave a frozen cookie for about 9 seconds for a perfect treat.
This recipe is adapted from A Bountiful Kitchen’s Lemon Lime Sprig Cookies.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven