Slow Cooker Marie Callender’s Potato Cheese Soup—a simple but delicious cheesy potato soup that you can make at home in your slow cooker! Similar to the recipe for potato cheese soup that you can order at Marie Callender’s.
Get the INSTANT POT Marie Callender’s Potato Cheese Soup recipe here
Slow Cooker Marie Callender’s Potato Cheese Soup
Fun fact! I used to be a server at Marie Callender’s. When hungry customers would come into the store they would always look forward to the cornbread and pies. And the potato cheese soup. I remember one man just ordering the potato cheese soup. When I went back into the kitchen and saw that we were out of the beloved soup I was sad for him. I told our manager and she whipped up another batch of the soup while the man waited patiently. He waited like 45 minutes just for a cup of soup.
The soup is simple it’s just potatoes, cheese, some dairy and a few other ingredients. For me personally I like to eat a cup of this soup with a salad or to start a meal. It’s delicious but it’s also quite rich. I brought this soup to our Halloween block party and everyone loved it. If you love Marie Callender’s creamy potato cheese soup I bet you’ll love my version too!
More Recipes You’ll Love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Slow Cooker Marie Callender’s Potato Cheese Soup I used my Ninja Auto-iQ 6 Quart Slow Cooker.* My favorite feature of this slow cooker is that it has a stove top function. This is perfect for sauteing the onions and celery before slow cooking the soup.
A simple but delicious cheesy potato soup that you can make at home in your slow cooker! Similar to the recipe for potato cheese soup that you can order at Marie Callender’s.
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups finely diced onions
- 2 cups finely diced celery
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 8 cups cubed Russet potatoes (peeled or unpeeled)
- 2 cups half and half
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bacon crumbles, optional but tasty
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat add in the butter and swirl it around until it is melted. Add in the onions and celery and saute for about 5 minutes. Add the onions and celery into the slow cooker.
- Add in the broth, salt, pepper, parsley and potatoes.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until potatoes are very soft.
- Remove the lid. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup just until it is chunky and thickened a bit. You’ll have some pureed potatoes and some chunks of potatoes.
- Dip a half cup measuring cup into the soup and slowly whisk a tablespoon at a time into the half and half to temper it. Then add the half and half mixture into the soup. Add in the cheese and stir until melted. Salt and pepper to soup to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve topped with bacon crumbles, if desired.
If you don’t have an immersion blender* you can add half of the soup to a blender and pulse a few times.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.