A simple but delicious cheesy potato soup that you can make at home in your slow cooker! Similar to the recipe for potato cheese soup that you can order at Marie Callender’s.
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups finely diced onions
- 2 cups finely diced celery
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 8 cups cubed Russet potatoes (peeled or unpeeled)
- 2 cups half and half
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bacon crumbles, optional but tasty
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat add in the butter and swirl it around until it is melted. Add in the onions and celery and saute for about 5 minutes. Add the onions and celery into the slow cooker.
- Add in the broth, salt, pepper, parsley and potatoes.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until potatoes are very soft.
- Remove the lid. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup just until it is chunky and thickened a bit. You’ll have some pureed potatoes and some chunks of potatoes.
- Dip a half cup measuring cup into the soup and slowly whisk a tablespoon at a time into the half and half to temper it. Then add the half and half mixture into the soup. Add in the cheese and stir until melted. Salt and pepper to soup to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve topped with bacon crumbles, if desired.
If you don’t have an immersion blender* you can add half of the soup to a blender and pulse a few times.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American