Slow Cooker Madras Lentils with Ground Beef–lentils, red beans and spices simmered in a creamy tomato sauce. Serve like a chili or over rice.
Get the INSTANT POT madras lentils recipe here
Slow Cooker Madras Lentils with Ground Beef
When I was at Costco the other day I saw a package of something called Madras Lentils. They looked so good but I didn’t purchase them. Instead I thought to myself, “I bet I can make those from scratch in the slow cooker.”
I researched a little online and came up with this slow cooker madras lentils with ground beef recipe. Pretty sure original madras lentils are supposed to be vegetarian but I’m also pretty sure my family would revolt if there wasn’t just a little meat involved.
I love the addition of a little bit of half and half. It makes these lentils just a little creamy. The flavor isn’t too spicy. But if you’re worried you could leave out the jalapeno. You can also cool it down with a dollop of sour cream.
The leftovers are even better than the first day. The flavors get even more married. Try these lentils soon. I think you’ll really enjoy!
More recipes that you’ll love…
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
To make Slow Cooker Madras Lentils with Ground Beef I used my Ninja Auto-iQ 6 Quart Slow Cooker.* My favorite feature of this slow cooker is that it has a stove top function. This is perfect for sauteing or browning before you slow cook. This slow cooker has four manual cooking functions: slow cook, stove top sear/Saute, steam, and bake.
Lentils, red beans and spices simmered in a creamy tomato sauce. Serve like a chili or over rice.
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey, browned
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 jalapeno, minced (seeds and pith removed)
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken or beef broth
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked brown lentils
- 1 (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Toppings: grated cheese and diced green onions
- Add browned ground beef, onion, jalapeno, garlic, broth, paprika, cumin, coriander, ginger, sugar, salt, pepper, beans, lentils, tomato sauce and tomato paste to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours, or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in vinegar and half and half. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop into bowls and top with cheese and onions.
I used my Ninja Auto-iQ 6 Quart Slow Cooker.*
- Category: Beef
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Indian
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.