Slow Cooker Grandma’s Sunday Roast–get fall apart roast paired with potatoes, carrots, green beans and gravy made easy in your slow cooker. A perfect Sunday dinner just like Grandma used to make.
Get the INSTANT POT version of the recipe here
Slow Cooker Grandma’s Sunday Roast
Pot roast is just one of those old fashioned comfort foods. Mom and Grandma would be proud of this recipe.
You may wonder why you can’t add the vegetables in with the meat at the beginning. It’s just because the meat takes much longer to get tender and the vegetables would be a mushy mess. If you don’t want the vegetables you can just leave them out.
Make sure to use a beef chuck roast or beef chuck steak for this recipe. It works so well with the moist environment.
More recipes you’ll love…
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
To make Slow Cooker Grandma’s Sunday Roast I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.* I love this slow cooker (you can see me talking about it in a video here). It cooks low and evenly. I love the medium heat choice because most slow cookers that I’ve seen only have the option of cooking on low or high. If you’re going to buy just one slow cooker, this is the one that I recommend.Print
Get fall apart roast paired with potatoes, carrots, green beans and gravy made easy in your slow cooker. A perfect Sunday dinner just like Grandma used to make.
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2-3 pounds beef chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp crushed rosemary
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 pounds red or yellow potatoes, washed and cut into large chunks
- 1 pound fresh green beans, washed and trimmed
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch + 2 Tbsp cold water
- Press all the seasonings (salt, onion powder, garlic powder, rosemary, paprika) into all sides of the beef.
- Pour beef broth into slow cooker. Add in roast. If you want to brown the roast beforehand it will taste better. Just brown each side in 1 Tbsp heated oil for 3 minutes.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Remove the lid and add in the vegetables. Drizzle with the worcestershire sauce. Cover and cook for 4 more hours on low.
- Remove the lid and scoop the meat and vegetables onto a large platter. Loosely tent with foil.
- In a small bowl stir the cornstarch and water together until smooth. Stir the mixture into the juices of the crockpot. Turn the slow cooker to HIGH and let it thicken the sauce. You can also thicken the gravy on the stove in a pot if you’re in a time crunch.
- Serve the roast and vegetables with the gravy.
I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.*
Keywords: one pot meal, slow cooker
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Slow Cooker Grandma’s Sunday Roast? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.