Slow Cooker Frito Pie Chili—all the flavors from frito pie except in the form of stew. You might want to double this recipe and have it for lunch all week!
Slow Cooker Frito Pie Chili
This recipe was a happy accident! I was trying to make a more solidified Frito pie rice dish but ended up with a chili/stew consistency. It was a perfect end to a cold winter day. And the toppings of diced green onions, fritos, sour cream and tomatoes on top made it all the better. My family scraped the crock clean as I stood back watching and wishing that I had doubled the recipe for leftovers.
I always loved those “walking tacos” as a kid. Do you know what I’m talking about? You take a mini bag of Frito corn chips and then put taco toppings into the bag. So a scoop of taco meat, some cheese, beans, lettuce, sour cream and tomatoes. Then you eating your “taco” straight out of the chip bag. This Slow Cooker Frito Pie Chili brought me back to my childhood. Same flavors only served out of a bowl with a spoon. Not quite as fun, but even more tasty.
For this recipe I used chili beans. Chili beans are found next to the regular canned beans at the grocery store. Some common brands that sell chili beans are Bush’s and S&W. Chili beans are pinto beans that are canned in tomato sauce and have seasonings added. I found that the use of these beans gave the chili an extra boost of flavor.
If you like this Slow Cooker Frito Pie Chili I think you’ll also love my Slow Cooker Crack Chicken Chili. It is super addicting, as the name implies. And if you’re in the mood for creamy white chili try my slow cooker white chicken chicken.
All the flavors from frito pie except in the form of stew. You might want to double this recipe and have it for lunch all week!
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup long grain white rice or jasmine rice
- 1 (10 oz) can mild enchilada sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can chili beans (pinto beans in tomatoes and seasoning, also called ranch style beans)
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 ¼ cups Fritos chips
- 5 Tbsp diced green onions
- 5 Tbsp sour cream
- 5 Tbsp diced tomatoes
- Heat a pan over medium high heat. Add in the ground beef and break it up. Add in the onions and taco seasoning. Brown for about 5 minutes. Drain off any excess grease. Add the beef to the slow cooker.
- Add water, rice, enchilada sauce and chili beans to the slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours, or until rice is tender. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese. Ladle into 5 bowls and top each bowl with ¼ cup Fritos, 1 Tbsp green onions, 1 Tbsp sour cream and 1 Tbsp diced tomatoes. Enjoy!
- Category: Beef
- Method: Slow Cooker
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.