Slow Cooker Corn Rice Salsa Chicken Soup–a thick taco soup with tender, moist pieces of chicken, chewy brown rice, sweet corn, creamy chickpeas, spicy salsa and black beans.
Slow Cooker Corn Rice Salsa Chicken Soup
I know there are a million taco soup type recipes on the planet but I am so in love with this recipe for slow cooker corn rice salsa chicken soup. It is thick and almost creamy. The chickpeas were my favorite addition to the soup which added another texture dimension. The chewy brown rice made the soup more of a meal because it added an element of heartiness. I love how it’s one of those throw everything in the crockpot and let it cook all day recipes. We topped our bowls of soup with a little grated cheddar, a dollop of sour cream and a few crunchy tortilla chips.
Slow Cooker Recipes with Salsa
One of my favorite ingredients to use in slow cooker recipes is salsa or picante sauce. These types of recipes tend to be super fast to put together because the chopping has already been done for you (the onions and peppers are already in the salsa). Here are some southwestern crockpot recipes that you may want to try!
Slow Cooker Alfredo Salsa Tortellini–only 3 ingredients!
Slow Cooker Creamy Green Salsa Chicken–so easy a kid can make it!
Slow Cooker Creamy Black Bean and Salsa Chicken–perfect weeknight dinner
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken with Lime from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Beef with Salsa from Taste and Tell
Slow Cooker Peach Salsa Pork with Sweet Potatoes from Foodie with Family
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
For this recipe I used my beloved 6 quart oval KitchenAid slow cooker. I love this slow cooker because it cooks evenly and low. I also love this slow cooker because it has a neat timer with satisfying beeping buttons as well as a medium setting for those days where you start your slow cooker at an in-between time. If you’re in the market for a new slow cooker I definitely recommend this one!
Send Me Free Slow Cooker Recipes
Thanks for stopping by! Do you love crockpot recipes? Wish you had more good ones that your family would actually eat? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up here. I usually send out 1-2 new recipes per week. And you can unsubscribe at any time. This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
Slow Cooker Corn, Rice and Salsa Chicken Soup
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
A thick taco soup with tender, moist pieces of chicken, chewy brown rice, sweet corn, creamy chickpeas, spicy salsa and black beans.
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup picante sauce or salsa
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 cups water
- 4 Tbsp taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: lime juice, cilantro, sour cream, grated cheddar, tortilla chips
- Add chicken, rice, corn, chickpeas, black beans, salsa, diced tomatoes, water and taco seasoning to the slow cooker*.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours. The cooking time will greatly depend on your slow cooker. My slow cooker took about 5 hours on high for the rice to get to the correct consistency.
- Remove chicken and shred up, return the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (this will depend on your canned ingredients and how much sodium they contain).
- Add in lime juice to taste and top with other desired toppings.
*I used my 6 quart slow cooker for this recipe.
I know you used a 6 quart, but could a 4 quart cooker be used for this recipe?