A thick taco soup with tender, moist pieces of chicken, chewy brown rice, sweet corn, creamy chickpeas, spicy salsa and black beans.
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup picante sauce or salsa
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 cups water
- 4 Tbsp taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: lime juice, cilantro, sour cream, grated cheddar, tortilla chips
- Add chicken, rice, corn, chickpeas, black beans, salsa, diced tomatoes, water and taco seasoning to the slow cooker*.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours. The cooking time will greatly depend on your slow cooker. My slow cooker took about 5 hours on high for the rice to get to the correct consistency.
- Remove chicken and shred up, return the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (this will depend on your canned ingredients and how much sodium they contain).
- Add in lime juice to taste and top with other desired toppings.
*I used my 6 quart slow cooker for this recipe.