Mexican food is one of my faves. And EASY Mexican food is even better. This easy peasy recipe for black bean and salsa chicken in the crockpot will be a family favorite! It’s easy, tastes good and best yet, you can throw the chicken in frozen. Always a good thing for a busy morning!
|Slow Cooker Creamy Black Bean Salsa Chicken|
Makes 4 servings
Ideal slow cooker size: 3 quart
Cooking time: 6-8 hours
4 frozen boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 cup salsa or picante sauce
1 cup frozen corn
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 Tbsp taco seasoning
2 Tbsp minute tapioca
1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
1 Tbsp flour
Salt and pepper
Hot cooked rice
Topping optionsl: grated cheddar cheese, avocado slices, diced tomatoes, tortilla chips, lime
1. Throw the frozen chicken in the slow cooker. Cover it with the salsa, corn, beans, taco seasoning and tapioca.
2. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours (if chicken is not frozen then only cook for 4-6 hours).
3. Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board. Either shred it or cut it up into bite size pieces.
4. In a small bowl or cup, stir together the sour cream and flour. Then stir the mixture into the crock. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. Turn slow cooker to HIGH and let cook for about 15 minutes without the lid, so things can thicken a bit.
6. Spoon chicken and sauce over rice and top with desired toppings.
P.S. Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram! I’m fairly new there but having a lot of fun with real time photos!
I made this last night, I wound up making it on the stovetop because I made a vegetarian version with tofu instead of chicken and I was afraid if it sat all day in the crock pot it might burn. It came out DELICIOUS! Definitely something I would make again!! Besides the chicken, the only thing I changed was using corn starch instead of tapioca and it worked great. Thank you for a fabulous recipe!
I recommend checking out http://bestslowcooker.us before purchasing any slow cooker. Great reviews as well as great articles. What else can you ask for 🙂
always top … I love your super nice blog 🙂
what is tack seasoning? couldn't fund it at store
This was so yummy, I had made a double recipe, so the next day I reheated and added rice and had a great chilie like dish. Everyone in my family loved it! Thanks
Yum! I need to make this again – it's been too long!
Had this for dinner to night and it was a HIT with my kids! Even my picky 18 month old ate it!! Thanks!!
Yummy! We tried this a few nights ago and it was delicious!! Thanks for the great recipes!
Hmm, I wonder if you used cream cheese instead of sour cream if you could forego the cornstarch. This looks yummy. I just might have to pick up some chicken thighs on my next shopping trip.