Slow Cooker Chicken and Mashed Potatoes–chicken, mashed potatoes, carrots and gravy are all prepared together in your slow cooker. A perfect dinner for any night of the week.
Get INSTANT POT chicken and mashed potatoes recipe here
Slow Cooker Chicken and Mashed Potatoes
I love meals like this. One pot and everything is in there. The chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy and carrots are all cooked together.
The chicken is moist and tender, even when cooked from frozen. The mashed potatoes are creamy. The carrots are cooked but not mushy. I think you’ll really like this recipe for busy nights!
Just a few notes about the ingredients:
Chicken: I haven’t tried this recipe with other cuts of chicken yet but I think bone-in chicken and boneless skinless chicken thighs would work wonderfully.
Potatoes: You can use other types of potatoes as well. Red and yellow potatoes cook much faster than Russets, so only cut them in half instead of quarters.
Carrots: I used whole peeled carrots but I believe you could use thicker baby carrots with success.
More one pot meals you’ll love…
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
To make Slow Cooker Chicken and Mashed Potatoes I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.* I love this slow cooker. It cooks low and evenly. I love the medium heat choice because most slow cookers that I’ve seen only have the option of cooking on low or high. If you’re going to buy just one slow cooker, this is the one that I recommend.Print
Chicken, mashed potatoes, carrots and gravy are all prepared together in your slow cooker. A perfect dinner for any night of the week.
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (frozen is okay)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Pinch of red pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds Russet potatoes (about 5 small), washed and cut into quarters (peel if you desire)
- 4 whole carrots, peeled
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup milk or cream
- Salt and pepper
- Pour chicken broth into the slow cooker. Place the chicken in the bottom to one side of the slow cooker. Sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme and red pepper.
- Then place the quartered potatoes and the peeled carrots in the slow cooker on the other side.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours, for frozen chicken and 4-6 hours for thawed chicken. Remember each slow cooker cooks differently so your cooking time may be more or less than this. Remove the lid.
- Use tongs to place potatoes in a bowl. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher until they reach your desired consistency. Add in the butter and the milk. Stir until creamy. Add in salt and pepper to taste.
- Place carrots on a plate or platter.
- Remove the chicken and slice, place on platter.
- Stir 1 Tbsp cornstarch with 1 Tbsp water. Turn the slow cooker to the high setting. Stir the cornstarch slurry into the juices remaining in the pot. Whisk. Gravy will thicken in a few minutes.
- Serve gravy over potatoes and chicken. Serve with the carrots.
I haven’t tried this recipe with other cuts of chicken but I think bone-in chicken and boneless skinless chicken thighs would work wonderfully.
You can use other types of potatoes as well. Red and yellow potatoes cook much faster than Russets, so only cut them in half instead of quarters.
This recipe doesn’t make a ton of gravy. If you want more gravy then increase the broth amount to 1 ½ cups. And use 3 Tbsp of cornstarch to thicken the gravy.
Gluten Free: Just double check your chicken broth.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 502
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 1237 mg
- Fat: 17 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 33 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 53 g
- Cholesterol: 155 mg
Keywords: slow cooker
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken and Mashed Potatoes? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.