Instant Pot Chicken and Mashed Potatoes–chicken, mashed potatoes, carrots and gravy are all prepared in one pot, your Instant Pot. A perfect dinner for any night of the week.
Get the SLOW COOKER chicken and mashed potatoes recipe here
Instant Pot Chicken and Mashed Potatoes
I love meals like this. One pot and everything is in there. The chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy and carrots are all cooked together. The only special equipment you need for this recipe is a trivet (this should have come with your Instant Pot).
The chicken is moist and tender, even when cooked from frozen. The mashed potatoes are creamy. The carrots are cooked but not mushy. I think you’ll really like this recipe for busy nights!
Just a few notes about the ingredients:
Chicken: I haven’t tried this recipe with other cuts of chicken yet but I think bone-in chicken and boneless skinless chicken thighs would work wonderfully.
Potatoes: You can use other types of potatoes as well. Red and yellow potatoes cook much faster than Russets, so only cut them in half instead of quarters.
Carrots: I used whole peeled carrots but I believe you could use thicker baby carrots with success.
More one pot meals you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Chicken and Mashed Potatoes I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
Chicken, mashed potatoes, carrots and gravy are all prepared in one pot, your Instant Pot. A perfect dinner for any night of the week.
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (frozen is okay)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- Pinch of red pepper
- 1 ½ pounds Russet potatoes (about 5 small), washed and cut into quarters (peel if you desire)
- 4 whole carrots, peeled
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup milk or cream
- Salt and pepper
- Pour chicken broth into the Instant Pot. Place the chicken in a single layer on the bottom of the pot. Sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme and red pepper.
- Place a trivet on top of the chicken.
- Then place the quartered potatoes and the peeled carrots on top of the trivet.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes for frozen chicken or 12 minutes for thawed chicken on high pressure. Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Use tongs to place potatoes in a bowl. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher until they reach your desired consistency. Add in the butter and the milk. Stir until creamy. Add in salt and pepper to taste.
- Place carrots on a plate or platter. Remove the trivet.
- Remove the chicken and slice, place on platter.
- Stir 1 Tbsp cornstarch with 1 Tbsp water. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. Stir the cornstarch slurry into the juices remaining in the pot. Whisk until gravy is thick.
- Serve gravy over potatoes and chicken. Serve with the carrots.
I haven’t tried this recipe with other cuts of chicken but I think bone-in chicken and boneless skinless chicken thighs would work wonderfully. If thawed cook for 15 minutes and if frozen cook for 18 minutes.
You can use other types of potatoes as well. Red and yellow potatoes cook much faster than Russets, so only cut them in half instead of quarters.
This recipe doesn’t make a ton of gravy. If you want more gravy then increase the broth amount to 1 ½ cups. And use 3 Tbsp of cornstarch to thicken the gravy.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
Gluten Free: Just double check your chicken broth.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 502
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 1237 mg
- Fat: 17 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 33 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 53 g
- Cholesterol: 155 mg
Keywords: instant pot
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Chicken and Mashed Potatoes? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.