Love the flavors of salsa verde? Me too! I wanted to mix things up a bit and try lentils in a Mexican-style meal instead of Indian food or other traditional ways of cooking lentils. And it was a super awesome choice! I loved the way the lentils came out almost creamy-like. The chicken was so tender and moist.
I added in some black beans, cumin and chili powder to give it that Mexican flare. You could serve this in so many different ways. You could eat it plain, serve in tortillas, use it as a dip with tortilla chips, or put it over rice or even quinoa. Give it a try for dinner this week!
Lentils and chicken are slow cooked with green salsa and black beans to make a creamy one pot dinner. Top it with cheddar, sour cream, cilantro and crunched up tortilla chips for the ultimate Mexican meal.
- Place lentils in the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour the broth over the top.
- Add in the frozen chicken. Top the chicken with the cumin, salt, garlic powder, chili powder, salsa verde and black beans.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 6 hours or until lentils are tender.
- Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board. Shred the chicken or cut into bite size pieces. Add the chicken back into the slow cooker.
- If it needs to be thickened, stir 1 Tbsp of cornstarch together with 1 Tbsp of water until smooth in a little bowl. Stir into the slow cooker and cook on high without the lid for a few minutes until it thickens.
- Add cheese into the slow cooker.
- Serve lentils and chicken plain, in tortillas, as a dip with tortilla chips, or put it over rice or even quinoa. Top with tortilla chips, cilantro and sour cream.
Ideal slow cooker size: 5-6 quart
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Method: Slow Cooker