Slow Cooker 3-Ingredient Rump Roast–an easy beginner recipe for the slow cooker. Beef pot roast is cooked until tender in your crockpot. If desired you can also make carrots and potatoes with the roast.
Get the Instant Pot 3-Ingredient Rump Roast recipe here
Slow Cooker 3-Ingredient Rump Roast
This recipe was sent to me by a reader named Kathy. It’s a super easy recipe that you don’t have to spend much time putting together…dump and go!
The rump roast does, however, take a while to get tender. Give yourself a good 10-12 hours . It takes a tough piece of meat and makes it fork tender. It doesn’t fall apart but it is easily shreddable or sliceable.
The potatoes and carrots are an optional step. You add them in later and let them cook for only 4 hours. If you tried to add them at the beginning they would be mushy.
The broth and drippings make an easy gravy. All you have to do is stir in a cornstarch slurry and let it thicken up. The roast rump doesn’t have much fat on it so there is not a lot of grease.
More recipes you’ll love…
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
For this recipe I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.* I love this slow cooker. It cooks low and evenly. I love the medium heat choice because most slow cookers that I’ve seen only have the option of cooking on low or high. If you’re going to buy just one slow cooker, this is the one that I recommend.Print
An easy beginner recipe for the slow cooker. Beef pot roast is cooked until tender in your crockpot. If desired you can also make carrots and potatoes with the roast.
- 2–3 pounds rump roast, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 cups water
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 1 (1 oz) au jus gravy mix packet
- Optional: 1 pound baby carrots
- Optional: 1 pound Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (or yellow potatoes, skin on)
- Add roast and water to the slow cooker. Sprinkle in the au jus and onion soup mix packets.
- Cover and cook on low. If you want to add the potatoes and carrots let the roast cook for 6 hours and then add the vegetables in for the last 4 hours. If you don’t want potatoes and carrots then just cook on low for 10-12 hours, or until roast is tender.
- Remove the lid and place roast and vegetables on a platter.
- To make gravy: Turn slow cooker to high. Make a cornstarch slurry in a small bowl. Stir together 2 Tbsp of cornstarch and 2 Tbsp of cold water until smooth. Stir the slurry into the pot. Whisk. It should thicken the gravy in a few minutes.
- Serve the gravy with the roast and optional vegetables.
I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.*
To make gluten free: Most onion soup mixes are not gluten free. Kroger brand, however, does not contain gluten although it is not labeled as gluten free. Try this homemade recipe and keep it on hand: 1-1/2 cups dried minced onion, 1/4 cup GF beef bouillon powder, 2-1/2 TBS onion powder, 1/2 tsp crushed celery seed, 1/2 teaspoon sugar. 5 Tablespoons of this is about equal to a packet.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/5 of 2 1/2 pounds rump roast plus serving of gravy
- Calories: 364
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 1370 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Protein: 50 g
Keywords: pot roast
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Slow Cooker 3-Ingredient Rump Roast? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.