Instant Pot 3-Ingredient Rump Roast–an easy beginner recipe for the Instant Pot. Beef pot roast is cooked until tender in the electric pressure cooker. If desired you can also make carrots and potatoes with the roast.
Get the Slow Cooker 3-Ingredient Rump Roast recipe here
Instant Pot 3-Ingredient Rump Roast
This recipe was sent to me by a reader named Kathy. It’s a super easy recipe that you don’t have to spend much time putting together…dump and go!
The rump roast does, however, take a while to get tender, even in the Instant Pot. I used a 90 minute pressure cooking time! That’s a long time for the Instant Pot. However, it takes a tough piece of meat and makes it fork tender. It doesn’t fall apart but it is easily shreddable or sliceable.
The potatoes and carrots are an optional step. You add them in later and let them cook for only 4-5 minutes. If you tried to add them at the beginning they would be complete mush.
The broth and drippings make an easy gravy. All you have to do is stir in a cornstarch slurry and let it thicken up. The roast rump doesn’t have much fat on it so there is not a lot of grease.
Watch how to make Instant Pot 3-Ingredient Rump Roast (Video)
Join me every Tuesday when I show you how to make a new Instant Pot recipe. Subscribe to my youtube channel!
More recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot 3-Ingredient Rump Roast I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
An easy beginner recipe for the Instant Pot. Beef pot roast is cooked until tender in the electric pressure cooker. If desired you can also make carrots and potatoes with the roast.
- 2–3 pounds rump roast, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 cups water
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 1 (1 oz) au jus gravy mix packet
- Optional: 1 pound baby carrots
- Optional: 1 pound Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (or yellow potatoes, skin on)
- Place your trimmed roast in your Instant Pot. Pour in the water. Sprinkle the packet of onion soup mix over the roast. Sprinkle your packet of au jus gravy mix on top of the roast.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 90 minutes on high pressure. The pot will take about 10 minutes to build pressure and then will start counting down from 90.
- No potatoes and carrots option: Once the time is up let the pot sit there for another 15 minutes (display will read L0:15) and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid. Potatoes and carrots option: Once the time is up move the valve to venting. Remove the lid. Add in the potatoes and carrots. Replace the lid and set the valve to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 4 minutes (for less soft vegetables) or 5 minutes (or softer vegetables). When the time is up let the pot sit there for 10-15 minutes (L0:10) and then move the valve to venting.
- To make the gravy: Place the meat and vegetables on a platter and set aside. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. Make a cornstarch slurry in a small bowl. Stir together 2 Tbsp of cornstarch and 2 Tbsp of cold water until smooth. Stir the slurry into the pot. Whisk. It should thicken the gravy very quickly.
- Serve the gravy with the roast and optional vegetables.
What if my roast is frozen? You can still make this recipe! Just add 20 extra minutes, so 110 minutes instead of 90 minutes.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
To make gluten free: Most onion soup mixes are not gluten free. Kroger brand, however, does not contain gluten although it is not labeled as gluten free. Try this homemade recipe and keep it on hand: 1-1/2 cups dried minced onion, 1/4 cup GF beef bouillon powder, 2-1/2 TBS onion powder, 1/2 tsp crushed celery seed, 1/2 teaspoon sugar. 5 Tablespoons of this is about equal to a packet.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/5 of 2 1/2 pounds rump roast plus serving of gravy
- Calories: 364
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 1370 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Protein: 50 g
Keywords: pot roast
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot 3-Ingredient Rump Roast? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.