For some reason I am obsessed with the Mexican Rice and Black Beans that I made last summer. I could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner all by myself until it’s gone. I decided to keep the recipe pretty much the same but swap out the brown rice with quinoa (you could also use orzo). It turned out wonderfully! I sliced up some avocado and enjoyed this until it was gone. This is a wonderful light summer recipe that I paired with a fresh fruit salad and a green salad. Yum! I will definitely be making this again. 5 stars.
|Recipe for Slow Cooker Mexican Quinoa and Black Beans|
- 1 (14 oz) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup uncooked and rinsed quinoa or orzo
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Lime juice
- Avocado slices
- Add beans, quinoa (or orzo), water, salsa, bay leaf, cumin, salt and garlic to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for about 2 hours.
- Remove lid and fluff quinoa with a fork. Remove the bay leaf.
- Add in fresh lime juice to taste and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with sliced avocado.
- Method: Slow Cooker
Do you like quinoa? Try these other quinoa recipes too!
Looking for more slow cooker meatless recipes?