Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa and Black Beans—flavorful quinoa with salsa, black beans and sliced avocado. A fast and easy meatless meal or an amazing side dish.
Get the SLOW COOKER Mexican quinoa and black beans recipe here
Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa and Black Beans
I have been making my Mexican Quinoa and Black Beans for years in the crockpot. I decided I needed to make an Instant Pot version. Quinoa takes hardly any time at all in the Instant Pot. I always use a 1 minute pressure cook time with a 10 minute NPR. It turns out fantastic and it’s a completely hands off way to make quinoa.
I like buying quinoa in the bulk section at Winco. As far as I can tell it’s the cheapest way to buy it as well. I always make sure to rinse my quinoa really well because there is a natural coating on quinoa called saponin. This can make it taste a little bitter or soapy. It can also cause digestive issues. Sometimes boxed quinoa claims that it is pre-rinsed, but I always rinse my quinoa anyhow.
To make this recipe I always use the mild Pace Picante sauce. It’s my favorite. I buy it in the big container at Costco. If you’re not a fan of black beans just use pinto beans in the place of the black beans.
This recipe can easily be doubled. Just double all the ingredients and keep the cooking time the same. I like to make this recipe for lunches throughout the week. Skyler love to take the leftovers in his mini crockpot* to school. And Greg will take a little container to work and warm it up in the microwave.
Related: Have you joined Greg and Karen’s 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group?
You might also like…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa and Black Beans I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
Flavorful quinoa with salsa, black beans and sliced avocado. A fast and easy meatless meal or an amazing side dish.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp uncooked and rinsed quinoa
- 1 (14 oz) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup salsa or picante sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- Avocado slices
- Other options: cilantro, cheese, sour cream
- Add water to the Instant Pot. Sprinkle in the quinoa. Dump in the black beans and top the beans with the salsa. Add in the bay leaf, cumin, salt and garlic powder.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual pressure cook button to 1 minute. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Gently stir in the lime juice.
- Scoop the quinoa onto plates and top with avocado slices and any other options you like.
- Category: Meatless
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.