An easy Instant Pot dinner for dad (or teens) to make! Give mom a break from cooking tonight and make this simple but delicious barbecue chicken and potato casserole.
Instant Pot Barbecue Chicken and Potatoes
Happy Mothers Day to all your moms out there! I hope you have a wonderful day and take the day off of cooking and other responsibilities. This recipe is super simple. It’s a great one for dad or teens to make. It’s got chicken, potatoes, bacon, cheese and barbecue sauce. Lots of yummy flavors and not a lot of work (or time).
- Chicken broth–or water and Better than Bouillon
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts–or chicken thighs
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Russet potatoes–or red or Yukon gold potatoes
- Olive oil–or another oil of your choice, like avocado oil
- Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce–or your favorite barbecue sauce
- Real bacon bits–or you can fry up some bacon and crumble it
- Cheddar cheese–or another type of cheese you love
- Green onions–or scallions or chives
- Prepare your chicken and potatoes: I like to get out all my ingredients and peel/chop/cut anything that needs it. Peel your potatoes and cut them into cubes. Slice your chicken breasts across the grain and then cut into bite size cubes.
- Layer the chicken and potatoes: The chicken goes into the bottom of the pot and then the potatoes on top. This will prevent them from getting grainy.
- Pressure cook: This recipe calls for cooking on low pressure. This helps the chicken stay tender and the potatoes won’t get mushy.
- Stir in the other stuff: Finish off the dish by stirring in your favorite barbecue sauce, some bacon and cheese. Eat and enjoy!
- Serve with a side salad or some roasted broccoli. A dinner roll, biscuit or cornbread would also go well.
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot*. You can also make this in your 3 quart Instant Pot with no changes.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container* in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- This recipe can be gluten-free. Make sure to use a gluten free barbecue sauce and broth.
- You can easily double this recipe. Double all ingredients (except the broth) and keep the cooking time the same.
- If you don’t have the option of switching to low pressure you can pressure cook on high for 2 minutes with a 10 minute natural pressure release.
- You can make this in the oven instead of the Instant Pot. Toss the chicken, potatoes, seasonings, barbecue sauce and bacon together in a big bowl until coated. Add to a 9×13 inch pan. Bake for 40 minutes at 400 degrees. Test potatoes for doneness and bake longer, if needed. Top with the cheese and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Other recipes you can make with Sweet Baby Ray’s are Instant Pot Dr. Pepper Chicken and Instant Pot Honey Barbecue Chicken.
More “Mom” Recipes…
- Instant Pot Mom’s Buttery Chicken
- Instant Pot Lazy Mom Lasagna
- Instant Pot Mom’s Goulash
- Instant Pot Mom’s Pot Roast
Did you know you can filter the recipes on my website to search by meat type, IP or Crockpot, low carb, gluten free, etc.? Use the filter to find exactly what you are looking for.
Get a daily Instant Pot recipe delivered to your email!Print
Give mom a break from cooking tonight and make this simple but delicious barbecue chicken and potato casserole.
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce
- 1/4 cup real bacon bits
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Green onions, for garnish
- Pour broth into Instant Pot. Cut the chicken breasts across the grain into strips and then cut into small bite size cubes. Add the chicken into bottom of Instant Pot. Sprinkle with ¼ tsp of the salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Place the potatoes on top of the chicken, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes on LOW pressure. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Use a large spoon to strain off as much liquid as you can and discard it. Stir in the barbecue sauce and bacon. Stir in half the cheese.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and let it melt. Garnish with diced green onions and serve.
Slicing against the grain: I like to slice against the grain into strips and then cut into cubes. This keeps the chicken more tender.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
Stay in touch!
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.