Instant Pot Honey Barbecue Chicken—tender chicken pieces covered in a honey sweetened barbecue sauce with a slight kick. An easy Instant Pot recipe!
Related: SLOW COOKER honey barbecue chicken recipe
Instant Pot Honey Barbecue Chicken
What a tasty, easy way to make chicken! The chicken gets almost fall off the bone tender in just 15 minutes with the Instant Pot. I used a package of chicken legs but I’m thinking that this would be a great way to make chicken wings too! Chicken wings would only need a 4 minute pressure cook time. If you’re not a fan of bone-in chicken try this recipe with boneless skinless chicken thighs instead. Use the 15 minute pressure cook time (add 3 minutes for frozen).
The sauce is a little bit sweet and a little bit spicy. I like to use Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce as the base and then add in a little honey, dijon, worcestershire and tabasco. If you’re nervous about the kick then cut the tabasco and the pepper in half. You can always add more later!
I served the chicken with mashed potatoes and a green salad with my favorite Olive Garden dressing on top. It was a solid meal that didn’t take much effort at all! Try this Instant Pot honey barbecue chicken soon!
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes…
Instant Pot Orange Chicken–perfect with jasmine rice and a side of broccoli!
Instant Pot Greek Chicken and Potatoes–lemon chicken and potatoes and lots of herbs!
Instant Pot Chicken Adobo–this one gets eaten way too fast!Print
Tender chicken pieces covered in a honey sweetened barbecue sauce.
- 4 – 4½ pounds (about 16 legs) of bone-in chicken legs (or you can use thighs)
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp tabasco sauce
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- Pour 1 cup of water into the bottom of your Instant Pot. Place a trivet into the pot.
- Place the chicken legs (I removed the skin) in layers on top of the trivet.
- In a medium bowl stir together the bbq sauce, honey, salt, pepper, dijon, worcestershire and tabasco sauce until smooth. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes (high pressure). When the time is up let the pressure release naturally for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Use tongs to place the chicken legs on a platter. Then remove the trivet. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. In a small bowl stir together 2 Tbsp of cornstarch with 3 Tbsp of water, until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. The cornstarch mixture will thicken up the sauce quickly. When the sauce is thick turn off the pot. Spoon the sauce over the chicken. Eat and enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. For the 8 quart pot, add 1.5 cups of water to bottom of pot instead of 1 cup. For the 3 quart pot halve the recipe, but still use 1 cup of water in the bottom of the pot.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.