Mac and Cheese Meatloaf Casserole–two favorite dinners combined into one amazing dish! Meatloaf is baked with macaroni and cheese on top. The Instant Pot speeds up the prep process.
Mac and Cheese Meatloaf Casserole
Don’t knock it until you try it! This mac and cheese meatloaf casserole was there one minute and completely devoured the next! We all agreed that it was delicious and something we should have often. To make this casserole you will start by patting meatloaf mixture into an 8×8 inch baking dish and popping it into the oven. While the meatloaf bakes you’ll make fast and easy macaroni and cheese in your Instant Pot. The two will get done close to the same time. At that point the macaroni and cheese is spooned on top of the meatloaf and then baked for a few more minutes. The cheesy macaroni cheese pairs perfectly with the baked meatloaf.
A few notes…
- This is an easy recipe to double and bake in a 9×13 inch dish if you’re feeding a crowd. Double all the ingredients and keep the cooking time the same.
- The meatloaf recipe I used is quick and easy. It only has 6 ingredients. If you prefer you can use your own favorite meatloaf recipe.
- I suggest using a lean or extra lean ground beef (I used 90% lean) so that the meatloaf doesn’t get too greasy.
- You can use another type of pasta like shells, cavatappi or bowties in the place of elbow macaroni.
- Use your favorite barbecue sauce. I like Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce the best.
- I like using sharp or extra sharp cheddar for maximum cheese flavor.
You’ll meatloaf recipes you’ll like…
More mac and cheese recipes you’ll love…
Want more 365 Days?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
- 15 Ritz crackers
- 1 pound lean ground beef (I used 90/10)
- 1 (1 oz) packet onion soup mix
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce, divided
- 2 cups water
- 8 oz elbow macaroni noodles
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Add Ritz crackers to a medium mixing bowl and smash until they are crumbs (I used a potato masher).
- Add in the beef, onion soup mix, egg, ketchup and ¼ cup of bbq sauce. Mix well with clean hands.
- Pat the mixture into an 8×8 inch baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- While meatloaf is baking make the mac and cheese in the Instant Pot. Pour 2 cups water into Instant Pot. Sprinkle in the macaroni. Add in the butter, kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder and pepper.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Stir in the milk and 1 ½ cups of the cheese.
- Once the meatloaf is done baking remove it from the oven. Spread remaining ¼ cup of bbq sauce over the top of meatloaf. Scoop the macaroni and cheese over the top. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of cheese on top the macaroni. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot and Oven
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.