Instant Pot Train Wreck Dinner–a throw everything into the pot type of dinner that comes out tasting amazing! You’re going to love the tender potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and sausage sprinkled with cheese.
Note: the SLOW COOKER instructions are listed in the recipe card below
Instant Pot Train Wreck Dinner
This train wreck dinner idea came about from a cookbook called “Arkansas Farm Favorites,” a cookbook made by the Arkansas Farm Bureau Federation Women’s Committee in 1981. A recipe called train wreck casserole appeared in the cookbook. It was similar to my version only instead it was prepared on the stovetop and cooked in the oven. Kind of a funny name! But I am guessing it has something to do with a bunch of random items thrown together??
This recipe has carrots, onions, mushrooms, potatoes, tomatoes, sausage, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, parmesan and mozzarella cheese. It all comes together and has great flavor. It’s a dump and go recipe and only involves a bit of upfront work of peeling and cubing the potatoes, cutting the onion into chunks and slicing up the sausage.
With only a 3 minute pressure cooking time and a quick release you may be wondering will the carrots and potatoes be cooked through? The answer is yes! Because of the very specific way I layered the ingredients with items that take longer to cook on the bottom everything comes out perfectly.
- You can make this recipe gluten free. Make sure your Worcestershire and broth is gluten free.
- This recipe can also be dairy free by leaving out the cheeses. It will still taste great! You can also let each person sprinkle cheese on their own portions.
- There are lots of fun smoked sausages you can buy. These are precooked cured sausages that come in beef, pork, chicken varieties. As well, you can find different flavors. Pick what speaks to you!
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
More Instant Pot Sausage Recipes…
Instant Pot Lazy Sunday Dinner
Instant Pot Cheesy Brats and Potatoes
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
Instant Pot Train Wreck Dinner
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
A throw everything into the pot type of dinner that comes out tasting amazing! You’re going to love the tender potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and sausage sprinkled with cheese.
- 3/4 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 oz baby carrots
- 1 small onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 8 oz package sliced or chopped mushrooms
- 3 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 12 oz package of smoked sausage, cut into cubes
- 1 (14.5) oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- Optional: 1 bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Pour broth into bottom of Instant Pot. Add in the bay leaf.
- Layer the following ingredients into the pot: carrots, onion chunks, mushrooms and then potatoes. Drizzle the olive oil on the potatoes. Lightly salt and pepper the potatoes.
- Add sausage on top of the potatoes. Then dump tomatoes into the pot. Add in Worcestershire, Italian seasoning, pepper, parsley and, if wanted, peppers.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes. When time is up move valve to venting. Remove lid.
- Drain off most of the liquid. Leave some for drizzling over the top and keeping moist.
- Stir in the cheeses. Scoop onto plates and serve.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Add ½ cup broth, bay leaf, carrots, onions, mushrooms, potatoes, olive oil, a little salt and pepper, sausage, tomatoes, Worcestershire, Italian seasoning, pepper, parsley and pepper into slow cooker. Toss well.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Sprinkle in cheeses, serve and enjoy.
- Category: Sausage
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Very tasty. The only change I made was using fire roasted tomatoes.
I love fire roasted tomatoes!! Good idea!