Instant Pot Smothered Greek Chicken and Rice—lemony bites of chicken and creamy rice with a generous scoop of deliciously light and refreshing yogurt-cucumber sauce, diced red onions and tomatoes on top.
Instant Pot Smothered Greek Chicken and Rice
I knew when I envisioned this recipe in my head that it would be a family favorite and I was right. Chicken and rice with lemon undertones and then topped with my favorite tzatziki sauce made a dinner that everyone loved.
What is tzatziki sauce?
The best sauce ever. Basically. It’s a yogurt cucumber sauce with garlic and dill. It’s super simple and it’s so light and refreshing. I like to dip pitas in it or serve it on top of gyros.
I made my tzatziki sauce with homemade Greek yogurt. You can also use store-bought whole fat yogurt, like the Fage brand. I like the thickness and consistency of Greek yogurt best.
What kind of chicken can I use?
For best results use a dark meat chicken like boneless, skinless chicken thighs. They stay tender and are really hard to mess up in the pressure cooker. Other choices would be bone-in chicken breasts, legs or thighs.
If you’re not a dark meat fan you can also use boneless, skinless chicken breasts. They won’t taste as moist and succulent but they will still be tasty.
What kind of rice can I use?
I used long grain white rice. You can probably use other types of rice with great results. Just make sure to use the proper cooking time and liquid (broth and lemon juice) to rice ratios. Also you’ll need to consider how long the chicken will need to cook. If the chicken is in whole thighs or breasts you’ll need at least 10 minutes pressure cooking time. If the chicken is cut into pieces you can get away with a 5 minute pressure cooking time.
How do I zest a lemon?
Lemon zest has an intense citrus flavor with very little bitterness. The bitterness is primarily found in the white part of the lemon (the white pith). The lemon zest adds so much to this dish! Don’t skip it! 1 medium size lemon has about 1 Tbsp of zest on it. Use a fine grater* or microplane* to grate the outer yellow layer of the lemon off.
Lemon juice and zest hack: Buy a huge bag of lemons at Costco and juice them.* Freeze the juice in ice cube trays or your egg bites mold*. Once they are frozen pop them out and store in a Ziploc bag in the freezer. After you have juiced the lemons don’t throw away the peels. Just pop them into a Ziploc bag and when you need some zest you can easily grate off the outside layer of the lemon skin. It is easier to grate frozen than fresh. I can’t wait to use some of my lemon zest for my favorite lemon cookies!
More Greek-Style Instant Pot Recipes…
Lemony bites of chicken and creamy rice with a generous scoop of deliciously light and refreshing yogurt-cucumber sauce, diced red onions and tomatoes on top.
For chicken and rice:
- 2 Tbsp olive
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
For the tzatziki sauce:
- 1 ½ cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ cups seeded, peeled and finely diced cucumbers
- 1 ½ Tbsp dried dill
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp minced garlic
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp olive oil
- Turn Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the olive oil and onion. Saute the onion for 4 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 20 seconds. Stir in the rice and coat it with the oil and onions. Stir in the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot clean. Turn off the saute setting.
- Stir in the lemon juice, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and zest. Nestle the chicken into the pot.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 10 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Slice, chop or shred the chicken.
- Make the tzatziki sauce by stirring the yogurt, cucumber, dill, pepper, garlic, salt, garlic powder and olive oil together in a bowl.
- Serve chicken and rice topped with a generous scoop of tzatziki sauce, diced red onion and tomatoes.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. For 8 quart pot, keep the recipe the same. For 3 quart pot, halve the recipe, same cooking time.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Greek
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.