Instant Pot Greek Chicken Lemon Rice Soup–this is a thick and hearty version of creamy Greek avgolemono soup. It has tender bites of chicken, rice, carrots and of course fresh lemon juice. This soup has unbelievable flavor! And it’s made quickly in your electric pressure cooker.
Get the SLOW COOKER version of the recipe here
Instant Pot Greek Chicken Lemon Rice Soup
If you’re a fan of all things lemon you will love this soup! It is creamy and the lemon just gives the soup such a pop of flavor. I started with a small bowl and just kept going back for more helpings because it was so delicious! I added feta cheese to the top of my soup for a little more Greek flavor. Even though it was close to 85 degrees my family really enjoyed this soup!
This version of Instant Pot Greek chicken lemon rice soup is very thick thanks to the rice, a little flour and butter mixture and the eggs that are used as a thickener. If you want a more brothy soup you might want to leave out the roux and perhaps cut the rice to 1/2 cup instead of 3/4 cup.
I used long grain white rice but I believe you could have good results with short grain white rice, jasmine rice and even basmati rice.
More recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Greek Chicken Lemon Rice Soup I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
This is a thick and hearty version of creamy Greek avgolemono soup. It has tender bites of chicken, rice, carrots and of course fresh lemon juice. This soup has unbelievable flavor! And it’s made quickly in your electric pressure cooker.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow or white onion, diced
- 6 cups chicken broth (or 6 cups water + 2 Tbsp Better than Bouillon Chicken Base)
- 2 large carrots, cut into quarter inch slices
- 1 rib of celery, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice
- 2 chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- Optional: feta cheese
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the olive oil. Swirl the oil around. Add in the onion. Stir and saute the onion for about 3-4 minutes. Add in the broth and let the broth heat up while you cut up your carrots and celery. Add in the carrots, celery, salt, pepper and rice.
- Cut your chicken breasts in half, so they are half as thick. This will help them cook at the same rate as the rice. Add them into the pot.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes (high pressure).
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting.
- Open the pot and use tongs to remove chicken. Place the chicken on a cutting board and let rest.
- In a bowl whisk together the butter and flour until smooth. Ladle a cup of the soup into the flour/butter mixture and whisk until smooth. Ladle the mixture back into the pot. This will help to thicken the soup.
- Add the lemon juice into the pot.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs until frothy. Ladle a tablespoon of the hot soup into the eggs and whisk, then repeat the process a few times. This way the eggs won’t scramble. Add the entire mixture into the pot and stir. This will make the soup creamy and thick.
- Shred the chicken* and add it to the pot.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with feta, if desired.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 709 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Protein: 32 g
Keywords: soup, chicken
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Greek Chicken Lemon Rice Soup? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.