Instant Pot Sausage Barley Soup–with Italian sausage and barley this soup has flavor and texture in every spoonful. It’s perfect for a cold night supper and the leftovers are the best for lunch the next day.
Get the SLOW COOKER sausage barley recipe here
Instant Pot Sausage Barley Soup
We were in a hurry the other night to make dinner and get out the door to my son’s basketball game. My husband pointed to a chicken and barley soup recipe in my cookbook* and said “make this except with Italian sausage.” It turned out to be an amazing idea. The soup was just a perfect flavor. I love the texture of barley and am committed to using it in more recipes. And of course the leftovers were super tasty for lunch the next day.
A few notes about the ingredients:
Sausage–I buy the ground Italian sausage. Usually I just find the store brand on the foam trays wrapped in plastic. I like the mild flavor. If you’re a spicy person then get hot.
Pearl Barley–I buy my grains like barley in the bulk section of Winco. I know I’ve seen the quick cooking kind in packages by the rice. Don’t use the quick cooking kind in the Instant Pot. It will get to too mushy.
Broth–I often use Better than Bouillon Chicken Base in the place of broth. I used 5 cups water and 5 teaspoons of chicken base. I buy this in the big container from Costco because I use it so often.
More Instant Pot soup recipes you’ll love…
See all my Instant Pot Soups here
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Sausage Barley Soup I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
With Italian sausage and barley this soup has flavor and texture in every spoonful. It’s perfect for a cold night supper and the leftovers are the best for lunch the next day.
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (I used mild)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (14 oz) can petite diced tomatoes (or fired roasted tomatoes for more flavor)
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown your sausage. Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in your sausage. Break it up*. Add in the onion. Brown the sausage for about 5 minutes. If there is excess grease, drain it off.
- Add in ingredients. Add in the garlic powder, basil, celery, carrot, barley, broth, tomato paste, tomatoes and bay leaf.
- Pressure cook. Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the soup button to 20 minutes (if you don’t have a soup button use the manual/pressure cook button). When the time is up let the pot sit for about 10 minutes (display will say L0:10) and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Serve. Discard the bay leaf. Taste and salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and enjoy.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.