With Italian sausage and barley this soup has flavor and texture in every spoonful. It’s perfect for a cold night supper and the leftovers are the best for lunch the next day.
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (I used mild)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (14 oz) can petite diced tomatoes (or fired roasted tomatoes for more flavor)
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown your sausage. Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in your sausage. Break it up*. Add in the onion. Brown the sausage for about 5 minutes. If there is excess grease, drain it off.
- Add in ingredients. Add in the garlic powder, basil, celery, carrot, barley, broth, tomato paste, tomatoes and bay leaf.
- Pressure cook. Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the soup button to 20 minutes (if you don’t have a soup button use the manual/pressure cook button). When the time is up let the pot sit for about 10 minutes (display will say L0:10) and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Serve. Discard the bay leaf. Taste and salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and enjoy.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot