Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup–a broth based soup with chicken, celery, carrots and brown rice. This soup reminds me of chicken noodle soup except it has rice instead of noodles.
Get the SLOW COOKER version of the recipe here
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
This soup reminds me of chicken noodle soup with rice instead of noodles. It’s a healthier choice than a creamy wild rice soup but will still give you a warm and comforting feeling.
I like eating the leftovers for lunch the next day. This recipe does make a lot so you’ll probably have leftovers unless you’re feeding a crowd. You can freeze the leftovers will good results too.
I like brown rice because that’s just how I roll. If you want to use another type of rice I can’t say for sure how it will turn out because I haven’t tried it. However you’ll have to adjust the time down for other types of rice. I would be nervous that a regular white rice would just turn to mush.
I like heating up the broth in the pot using the saute setting while I prep the onions, carrots and celery. That helps the pot come to pressure quicker. A full pot like this one will take a while to come to pressure. It also takes a while to release all the pressure. That’s just how it works!
More recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
A broth based soup with chicken, celery, carrots and brown rice. This soup reminds me of chicken noodle soup except it has rice instead of noodles.
- 8 cups chicken broth (or 8 cups water and 8 tsp better than bouillon chicken base)
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (frozen is okay)
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, cut into half inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into half inch pieces
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Turn your Instant to the saute setting and add in your chicken broth. The saute setting will start heating up the broth and help the pot come to pressure quicker.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients. Turn off the saute setting.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 18 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. If liquid comes out of the valve move it back to sealing and wait a few more minutes and then try again. Remove the lid.
- Discard the bay leaf. Shred the chicken or cut it into pieces. Stir the soup.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
Recipe adapted from Favorite Family Recipes
This recipe can be gluten free. Just check the chicken broth to be sure it does not contain gluten.
I like heating up the broth in the pot using the saute setting while I prep the onions, carrots and celery. That helps the pot come to pressure quicker. A full pot like this one will take a while to come to pressure. It also takes a while to release all the pressure.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe
- Calories: 294
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 877 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Protein: 32 g
Keywords: instant pot
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.