Thin spaghetti is tossed with tamari, pepper, ground sausage and shredded cabbage for an easy one pot meal with a lot of flare. To give it some extra kick drizzle sriracha on top of the noodles.
- 1 lb ground sausage (you can use pork or chicken sausage)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeds and pith removed, minced
- 1 (1 inch) piece of ginger, minced
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
- 4 cups water
- 1 (16 oz) package thin whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/3 cup tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- 1 head of cabbage, shredded
- Sriracha, for serving (optional)
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting (more). When the display says HOT add in the ground sausage. Break it up with a wooden spoon and brown it for about 3 minutes. Add in the onion and saute it with the meat for about 3 more minutes. Add in garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Don’t drain off excess grease.
- Stir in jalapeno, ginger, pepper and Chinese 5 spice. Pour in the water.
- Break the noodles in half and spread them evenly on top of the water. Press them down to submerge (as much as possible).
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is on sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 2 minutes. When the timer beeps after the 2 minutes is up perform a quick release by moving the valve to venting.
- Remove the lid and stir the contents of the pot. Stir in the tamari to coat the noodles. Remove the inner pot from the Instant Pot base. Toss the cabbage in and stir.
- Use tongs to serve the noodles. If you like extra heat you can drizzle with sriracha. Enjoy!
This can get a little spicy with the jalapeno, 2 full teaspoons of pepper and the sriracha. If you want to make it bland enough for young children leave out the jalapeno and cut the pepper in half. And obviously don’t drizzle their plates with sriracha.
To make gluten free: Use gluten-free noodles (decrease cooking time by 1 minute) and be sure to use the Tamari sauce as opposed to the soy sauce.
I used whole wheat spaghetti noodles. If you’re using white noodles they will probably only need a 1 minute pressure cook time.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Instant Pot
- Calories: 387
- Sugar: 6
- Sodium: 767
- Fat: 12
- Carbohydrates: 49
- Protein: 20