Instant Pot Old School Casserole–a classic chicken and rice casserole that has an updated method of cooking…in the Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Old School Casserole
This chicken and rice casserole is a classic! It’s got rice (I used brown rice but you can also use white rice), chicken, cream of chicken soup, cream cheese, seasonings and parmesan. It takes very little effort but everyone always loves it!
- Cream cheese–or Neufchatel
- Cream of chicken–or another cream of soup like cream of mushroom or cream of celery. Another option is to make your own cream of chicken soup from scratch.
- Cooked and chopped rotisserie chicken–you can also use raw chicken pieces in this recipe although I find that the rotisserie chicken turns out more tender and delicious. Another option is to make my basic seasoned chicken ahead of time.
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Poultry seasoning–or make your own
- Chicken broth–or water and Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
- Brown rice–You can also make this with another type of rice. See the green chart below for info on liquid to rice ratios and how long to cook.
- Shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- Mix the chicken and cream sauce: In a mixing bowl add the cream cheese and cream of chicken soup. Use a hand mixer to mix until smooth and creamy. Stir in the chicken, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper and poultry seasoning.
- Add in rice: Pour broth into Instant Pot. Sprinkle in the rice evenly. Scoop the creamy chicken mixture over the top, don’t stir.
- Pressure cook: Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 22 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Serve: Sprinkle the parmesan on top. Scoop onto plates and serve.
- Serve with lots of vegetables like sauteed spinach and carrots.
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot*. You can also make this in a 3 or 8 quart pot.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container* in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Other recipes you can make with rotisserie chicken are Costco Casserole, Instant Pot Chicken Ranch Mac & Cheese and Instant Pot Loaded Chicken And Potato Casserole.
- For other types of rice see the chart below for liquid to rice ratios and cooking times:
More Chicken and Rice Instant Pot Recipes…
- Tight Budget Casserole (Instant Pot)
- Simple Man’s Lemon Garlic Chicken (Instant Pot or Crockpot)
- Texas King Ranch Chicken Casserole (Instant Pot)
- Instant Pot Guilty Pleasure Chicken and Rice
Did you know you can filter the recipes on my website to search by meat type, IP or Crockpot, low carb, gluten free, etc.? Use the filter to find exactly what you are looking for.
Get a daily Instant Pot recipe delivered to your email!Print
Instant Pot Old School Casserole
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes (plus 10 minute NPR)
- Total Time: 37 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
A classic chicken and rice casserole that has an updated method of cooking…in the Instant Pot.
- 1 (8 oz) package of cream cheese
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of chicken (or other cream of soup)
- 4 cups cooked and chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice (or other type of rice, see note)
- 1/2 cup shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- In a mixing bowl add the cream cheese and cream of chicken soup. Use a hand mixer to mix until smooth and creamy. Stir in the chicken, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper and poultry seasoning.
- Pour broth into Instant Pot. Sprinkle in the rice evenly. Scoop the creamy chicken mixture over the top, don’t stir.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 22 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Sprinkle the parmesan on top. Scoop onto plates and serve.
You can also make this with another type of rice. See the green chart above for info on liquid to rice ratios and how long to cook.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
Stay in touch!
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
I have frozen chicken breasts can I cook all together in the instant pot? Or cook breasts 1st then cook the chicken again as combining rest of ingredients? Also how long will I good the frozen chicken breast?
If you’re cooking brown rice then you can throw the frozen chicken in there and cook for the 22 minutes. Should work fine!
Eric B. says
Why would you put COOKED chicken in the IP for 22 mins? I cook multiple whole raw chicken breast in 10-15 mins so wouldnt they be alot more moist if cooked raw and then shredded after?
This was good! I added corn. My bf even liked it.
Awesome Brittany! Thanks for the 5 stars.
Very tasty. My son loved it as well. Would like to add mushrooms to the casserole. Any suggestions? Fresh or canned? I prefer fresh if that would work. At what step would you add them?
Yes that would be great. I would chop or slice and add fresh mushrooms on top of the rice before you add the creamy mixture
Verona de Vries says
Wauwzers 🤩 this recipe was delicious! I put some sautéed mushrooms and union to the chicken cream cheese mixture and we’ve eaten it with some steamed green beens with a drizzle of lemon juice and pepper and let me tell you, it was just devine! I used regular white rice because that was what I’ve got on hand and followed the instructions as the green chart told me to, but i got an E6 error notice on my pressure cooker, (not enough liquid) but at that point the rice was done and my whole family of 6 devoured this dish! This is gonna be meal that will come regularly at our table, thank you for sharing! It can also be served with some asparagus or spinach so diverse, love it!
Awesome! so glad to hear it. You version sounds tasty!
I will definitely be making this again. Delicious!
Thanks for the 5 stars Lynne!
I made this with shredded chicken breast I had prepped earlier in the week. I had all the ingredients and it turned out perfect. The flavor was great and I stirred in steamed broccoli right before serving so we even got our veggies. It was nothing fancy but perfect for an easy dinner after a late practice. My husband was even surprised it was brown rice.
Sounds awesome with the broccoli! Way to go!
We rarely eat out. I’ve had an instant for several months and used it a few times. Took us 15 minutes to get the lid to lock 😂. Husband said, ‘you can’t get this good of food eating out ‘ .
It was delicious and love your recipes.
I am confused on the rice. Is it raw or cooked when adding to this recipe?
Uncooked, but the chicken is cooked.
Can you use canned chicken like that from Costco?
sure that would work