Not an authentic version of “goulash” but what my mom would call goulash when I was growing up! Whatever you call it, it tastes amazing.
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth (or 1 1/2 cups water + 1 1/2 tsp Better than Bouillon Beef Base)
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 oz cavatappi noodles, cellentani or elbow macaroni noodles (uncooked)
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup grated medium cheddar cheese
- Optional: 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the ground meat. Use a wooden spoon to break it up (or a tool like this*). Brown the meat for about 3 minutes then add in the onion. Let the onion get soft and translucent, about 3-4 more minutes. Add in the salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, Italian seasoning, garlic cloves and Worcestershire sauce. Stir.
- Pour in the beef broth and deglaze the pot. Add in the bay leaf and the noodles. Then pour the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes on top, don’t stir.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 4 minutes on high pressure.
- When the timer beeps indicating the time is up move the valve to venting. Once all the pressure is release, remove the lid. Remove the bay leaf and discard. Stir.
- Sprinkle in the cheddar and serve topped with fresh basil, if desired.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. To make gluten free: Double check the beef broth to be sure it does not contain gluten. Substitute noodles for GF noodles and decrease cook time by 1 minute in the IP.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 418
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 1280 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Protein: 27 g
Keywords: pasta, ground beef