Instant Pot Cheesy Taco Orzo–an easy one pot meal that has a lot of Mexican flare. Orzo pasta is cooked quickly in your pressure cooker along with ground beef, taco sauce and black beans. Fresh ingredients like diced tomatoes, green onions, cilantro and shredded cheddar are stirred in later to create a family friendly and flavorful meal.
Get the SLOW COOKER version of the recipe here
Instant Pot Cheesy Taco Orzo
I’m on a quest to find and make the best one pot meals. I love the idea of having your whole meal–protein, carbohydrate and vegetables all in one pot. This one is a keeper! Kids and adults will love this orzo with all the flavors of tacos.
Some recipe notes:
Beef–I used ground beef but you could totally use ground turkey or ground chicken too.
Orzo–Sometimes I buy it in a box with the other pastas but this time I bought it in the bulk section at Winco for a dollar a pound. I have yet to find whole wheat orzo on the shelf. I wish!
Black beans–feel free to use whatever kind of beans you want. I like black beans for this recipe but kidney beans or pinto beans would work well also. Or if you are beans adverse then leave them out all together.
Cheddar–I used cheddar but you can also use a mexican blend of cheese.
Taco Sauce–find this with the other Mexican foods at your grocery store. I like the mild green sauce but if you want a little heat you can use the red medium sauce.
More recipes you’ll love
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Cheesy Taco Orzo I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
An easy one pot meal that has a lot of Mexican flare. Orzo pasta is cooked quickly in your pressure cooker along with ground beef, taco sauce and black beans. Fresh ingredients like diced tomatoes, green onions, cilantro and shredded cheddar are stirred in later to create a family friendly and flavorful meal.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth or water
- 2 1/3 cup uncooked orzo
- 1/2 cup green taco sauce (or you can use green enchilada sauce)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained (optional)
- 3 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 5 green onions, diced
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 (2.25 oz) can sliced olives, drained (optional)
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar
- Diced or sliced avocado, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the beef. Break it up with a wooden spoon and brown it. Add in the onions and saute for 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Drain off excess grease, if there is any.
- Deglaze the pot with the chicken broth/water. Sprinkle in the orzo, green taco sauce, black beans and taco seasoning. Don’t stir.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 1 minute. When the time is up let the pot sit there for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, olives and cheddar. Season with additional taco seasoning and salt and pepper, if needed.
- Scoop into bowls and top with diced avocado and a dollop of sour cream.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 372
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 697 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Protein: 25 g
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Cheesy Taco Orzo? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.