Instant Pot Monterey Chicken–tender chicken with bacon, cheese and BBQ sauce. A fun Chili’s copycat recipe, Instant Pot style!
Instant Pot Monterey Chicken
This is an easy recipe that is very satisfying without being over the top. The chicken is cooked in the Instant Pot and then covered with BBQ sauce, cheese and bacon crumbles. It comes together quickly. It tastes great served with steamed red potatoes and broccoli.
- This recipe uses chicken breast cutlets. A chicken cutlet is a chicken breast that has been cut in half horizontally to make two thinner pieces. I bought the chicken like this at the grocery store. They were about a half inch thick. I like using cutlets because they cook quickly and they cook more evenly than whole chicken breasts. If you’d like you can make chicken cutlets out of chicken breasts. I have not tried this recipe with frozen pieces of chicken. If you do try that I would increase the pressure cook time by 2-3 minutes.
- Do not quick release the pressure as it will toughen up the chicken. Instead let the pressure release on its own for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting.
- I used a combination of cheeses…Monterey, mozzarella and cheddar. You can use your own combination if you’d like!
- I like buying the big bacon of bacon crumbles at Costco and keeping them in my fridge or freezer for recipes like this one. It makes it convenient rather than frying up bacon on the stove, although you can totally do that if you’d like.
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot.* You can also make this in the 3 or 8 quart pot. Stagger the chicken pieces in the 3 quart pot instead of stacking them right on top of each other.
- Make it low carb by using a low carb BBQ sauce and forgoing the tomatoes.
- This recipe can be gluten free. Just make sure to pick out a gluten free BBQ sauce.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes You’ll Love…Print
Tender chicken with bacon, cheese and BBQ sauce. A fun Chili’s copycat recipe, Instant Pot style!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast cutlets
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup bacon crumbles
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced green onion
- Pour 1 ½ cups water in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Place a trivet in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Place chicken breasts cutlets on top of the trivet without stacking directly on top of each other. Stir together the garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the chicken evenly.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 7 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Use tongs to place chicken on a plate. Remove the trivet and dump out the water. Place chicken back into bottom of Instant Pot.
- Baste the chicken with BBQ sauce, sprinkle with the bacon pieces, sprinkle the cheese on top. Cover the Instant Pot and keep on the warm setting for 3 minutes, until cheese is melted (or use an air fryer lid). Serve chicken topped with tomatoes and green onions.
A chicken cutlet is a chicken breast that has been cut in half horizontally to make two thinner pieces. I bought the chicken like this at the grocery store. They were about a half inch thick.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
Want More 365 Days?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.