Lentils, red beans and spices simmered in a creamy tomato sauce. Serve like a chili or over rice.
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 jalapeno, minced (seeds and pith removed)
- 1 Tbsp garlic
- 2 cups chicken or beef broth
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ⅛ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked brown lentils
- 1 (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ cup half and half
- Toppings: grated cheese and diced green onions
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the ground beef and break it up. Add in the onion and jalapeno. Brown the beef for about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add in the broth and deglaze the pot. Then add in the paprika, cumin, coriander, ginger, sugar, salt, pepper, beans and lentils. Stir. Then dump the tomato sauce, tomato paste on top. Don’t stir.
- Cover and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 10 minutes on high pressure. When the time is up perform a quick release by moving the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the vinegar and the half and half. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve plain, like a chili, or on top of rice with grated cheddar and diced green onions.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Indian