Instant Pot Lentil Lemon Chicken Soup–a brightly flavored chicken and lentil soup based on the Greek Classic avgolemono, which translates as “egg-lemon.” It is a light and healthy soup that can be served for lunch or dinner.
Get the SLOW COOKER lemon lentil chicken soup recipe here
Instant Pot Lentil Lemon Chicken Soup
I love the flavors of Greek lemon soup so I decided to incorporate healthy lentils into the easy lemon soup. It was a great choice and Greg was so happy to have a healthy but delicious meal when he got home after a long day at work.
And of course Skyler was happy to have leftovers for his mini-crockpot* the next day at school. I’ve told you about that right? His 5th grade teachers let him plug in a little crockpot at school everyday for his lunch. I don’t know what’s going to happen next year when he has the stricter 6th grade teachers. But as much as I cook it’s so nice to have someone taking leftovers for lunch everyday. Now he absolutely refuses to get school lunch. “Mom, it’s not even good.”
If you’re not a big fan of lentils you could easily use white rice instead. Or you could even cook orzo on the stove and add it in after the chicken has pressure cooked.
Try to use chicken breasts that are the same size and thickness. Refer to this video on why. I ended up using smallish frozen chicken breasts. If you are using thicker chicken breasts they may not cook all the way through in the 10 minutes.
More recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Lentil Lemon Chicken Soup I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
A brightly flavored chicken and lentil soup based on the Greek Classic avgolemono, which translates as “egg-lemon.” It is a light and healthy soup that can be served for lunch or dinner.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 cup brown/green lentils
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts (2 small chicken breasts)
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Salt and pepper
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil and onion. Saute for about 4-5 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 20 seconds. Add in the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pot.
- Add in the red pepper flakes, parsley, lentils, chicken and salt.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 10 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5 minutes. Then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board. Shred the chicken and return to the Instant Pot.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg yolks and lemon juice. Stir a few tablespoons of the hot soup into the eggs to temper them. Then stir it all back into the Instant Pot. Add in the lemon zest.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Ladle soup into bowls and serve.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Greek
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.