Everything you love about baked potatoes in soup form…cheese, bacon, sour cream, green onions and potatoes. Basically a cheesy potato soup recipe that you can make in your electric pressure cooker.
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, red, yellow or Russets (see picture below for what that looked like in the bottom of my IP)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 cups milk (I used 1% milk)
- 1 tsp Better than Bouillon chicken base
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated medium or sharp cheddar
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled bacon (I use the pre-cooked bacon crumbles from Costco)
- If using red or yellow potatoes, scrub them clean. If using Russet potatoes, peel them if desired. Pour 1 1/2 cups of water in the bottom of your Instant Pot and then place trivet in the bottom. Place potatoes on top of the trivet.
- Cover the Instant Pot and lock the lid. Make sure valve is set to “sealing.” Set the pressure cook button (mine says manual) for 10 minutes on high pressure for red or yellow potatoes and 20 minutes for russets. When the timer beeps carefully move the valve to “venting” to let the pressure release. When you can, remove the lid.
- Remove the potatoes and set aside. Discard the water. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting on “less.” Melt the butter. Once butter is melted whisk in one tablespoon of flour at a time until you get a creamy, lump-free roux. Add in the salt and pepper. Let it start to bubble, whisking constantly.
- Once it is bubbling add in the milk and Better than Bouillon and whisk. Adjust the saute setting to a high heat. Whisk every few minutes until the milk starts to thicken and bubble. (This part will take much less time if you warm up the milk before adding it into the pot. I always put mine in a glass measuring cup and stick it in the microwave.)
- Turn the Instant Pot to the warm setting. Stir in the sour cream, cheddar, diced onions and bacon.
- Smash the potatoes with a potato masher. My potatoes were somewhat smashed but still had some chunkiness to them. Stir the potatoes into the Instant Pot. Salt and pepper the soup if needed.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.
This soup can be doubled. I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot