Instant Pot Johnny Marzetti—a simple pasta dish with tomato sauce, Italian sausage, mushrooms and cheese.
Because my 2020 “state” recipe series was so popular I have decided to incorporate more U.S. state recipes this year. To see all my state recipes from 2020 you can visit Instant Pot Recipes From All 50 States. Today’s recipe is a favorite from the Midwest, more specifically Ohio. Greg grew up in Ohio and we have a special place in our heart for our beloved Buckeyes.
Instant Pot Johnny Marzetti
If you are wondering what in the world (or who is the world) is Johnny Marzetti you are not alone. I had no idea about this dish until Greg brought it up to me. Johnny Marzetti is a noodle and ground beef casserole dinner that originated in Columbus, Ohio. It was served at a restaurant, founded in 1896 and run by Teresa Marzetti. She named the dish after her brother-in-law, Johnny. Everyone loved this casserole. It was cheap and flavorful and Marzetti’s was super close to Ohio State University which was full of students looking for cheap, filling foods.
I’m sure there are a thousand versions of Johnny Marzetti recipes out there. My Instant Pot Johnny Marzetti recipe is more of an all-in-one-pot pasta dish instead of a casserole. It tastes great nonetheless and is fast and easy to make. And maybe it’s sacrilegious but I didn’t use ground beef in my recipe, but a more flavorful ground Italian sausage instead. You could, of course, use ground beef in the place of the sausage but you’d definitely want to up the salt and seasonings.
More Instant Pot Pasta Recipes…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
A simple pasta dish with tomato sauce, Italian sausage, mushrooms and cheese.
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 cup diced onions
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 ½ cups chicken or beef broth
- 8 oz rotini pasta
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When display says HOT add in the sausage and break it up. Add in the onions and mushrooms. Brown for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the broth and scrape bottom of the pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Layer the pasta, tomatoes and tomato sauce on top. Don’t stir.
- Sprinkle in the garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes. When time is up move valve back and forth in between venting and sealing every 3 seconds or so, this will prevent foam from spewing out of valve. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the cheeses.
- Scoop up and serve sprinkl with parsley.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.