Instant Pot Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie—a twist on a popular and easy Betty Crocker recipe. It can be cooked in the Instant Pot (or the oven).
Instant Pot Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie
I’ve seen the recipe for Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie on Betty Crocker a few times but had never tried it. It seemed too simple to taste good. Plus it used Bisquick mix, which I never have on hand. However, I finally decided to give it a shot, with my own twists, of course.
The result was a tasty dinner that has all the fun flavors from cheeseburgers. I switched it up a bit and added in diced dill pickles. And I topped it with diced tomatoes. I also made homemade Bisquick mix (which is just flour, baking powder, salt and shortening). I know that it’s called cheeseburger pie but I made mine with a pound of ground sausage. Lots and lots of flavor in the sausage. You can also make this with ground beef or ground turkey.
You can cook this in the Instant Pot using the pot-in-pot method or you can bake it in the oven. The Instant Pot pot-in-pot (PIP) cooking method is cooking food in a separate dish that’s placed on a trivet inside your Instant Pot liner. Steam is created from water below the trivet and builds pressure to cook the food. My favorite pot-in-pot pans that I use are the Fat Daddios 7×3 inch pan* or the stainless steel stackable pans*. I love using the OXO Sling* to easily set the pan into the Instant Pot and to retrieve it. Make sure to scroll below the recipe to see the pictures of what pot-in-pot looks like.
More Cheeseburger Inspired Instant Pot Recipes…
Instant Pot Cheeseburger and Fries Casserole–Sunny said, “I really enjoyed this! I didn’t have plain diced tomatoes so I had to use fire roasted but I thought the fire roasted was actually very good. Will definitely make this again.”
Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup–Julie said, “I am not a soup fan but this was delicious.”
Instant Pot Cheeseburger Breakfast Casserole–Sabrina said, “It was really good! Next time, I plan to eat this with a side of grits!”
Instant Pot Cheeseburger Pasta–Eke said, “This is an AMAZING recipe, and I’m grateful that it only needs a small handful of ingredients.”
Instant Pot Steamed Cheeseburgers–Kim said, “Too delicious & too easy.”
Instant Pot Cheeseburger Macaroni And Cheese–Brad said, “Wow just finished eating it was a hit!”
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
A twist on a popular and easy Betty Crocker recipe. It can be cooked in the Instant Pot (or the oven).
- 1 pound ground beef or ground sausage
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4–1/2 cup diced dill pickles
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Optional: diced tomatoes, ketchup and mustard
- Brown beef or sausage in a pan on the stove or using the sauté setting on your Instant Pot. Add in the onion and cook until onion is softened. Drain off any excess grease. Add in ½ tsp salt if using ground beef (omit salt if using ground sausage).
- Transfer the meat mixture into a pan that fits inside your Instant Pot (I use Fat Daddios 7×3 inch pan*). Clean out bottom of Instant Pot (if you used it to brown the meat).
- Sprinkle the pickles and cheese over the top of the meat.
- In a small mixing bowl stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Use a fork to cut in the shortening well. Stir in the milk and eggs until well blended. Pour mixture over the top.
- Pour 1 ½ cups water into bottom of Instant Pot. Cover the pan with a paper towel and then secure the top with foil. Place the pan on top of a trivet. Lower the trivet into the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the STEAM button to 25 minutes. When time is up move valve to venting. Remove the lid. Remove pan from Instant Pot. Remove the foil and paper towel.
- Crisp up the top by placing under your oven’s broiler or using your air fryer lid for about 3 minutes.
- Slice and serve topped with tomatoes, mustard and ketchup, if desired.
Alternately, you can bake this in the oven, uncovered for 30 minutes at 400°F.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot/Oven
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.