Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup–creamy and cheesy soup that is made so fast in your electric pressure cooker. Serve it with diced up dill pickle and tomatoes to get that authentic cheeseburger taste. Add crumbled bacon for bacon cheeseburger soup! Miss the bun? Make homemade croutons out of a toasted sesame seed bun to get the total effect. Bottom line…you need to make this today!
Get the SLOW COOKER version of the recipe here
Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup
Today is cloudy, rainy and cool. The first day we haven’t had our air conditioning on since May. I think the high is supposed to in the 60s. Me: Hooray! Let’s make soup!
We are now entering the BEST season of the year! Fall! I love autumn time. Fall food is the best food. Fall weather is the best weather. Fall colors are the best colors. Everything is better in fall.
Back to the instant pot cheeseburger soup. This is soooo dreamy and creamy and delicious. I am floored by how fast it is to cook in the Instant Pot. I set the timer for 7 minutes but I felt like that was a bit too long for the potatoes so when I make it again I’m going to set the timer for 5 minutes. I love how I can brown the beef and saute the onion in the instant pot and I don’t have to get a separate pan dirty. I also love how I can use the saute function to thicken the soup with cornstarch after it has cooked. Doing a little happy dance right now!
National Cheeseburger Day
Today is National Cheeseburger Day! Now that’s a holiday I can really get behind. Check out these other cheeseburger inspired recipes from my food blogger friends:
Easy Cheeseburger Dip from Gather For Bread
Cheeseburger Pasta from The Baker Upstairs
Bacon Cheeseburger Pie from Creations by Kara
Mac and Cheese Stuffed Cheeseburger from Ashlee Marie
Cheeseburger Cobb Salad from Real Mom Kitchen
Tri-tip Chili Cheeseburger from Hey Grill Hey
Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Casserole from All Free Slow Cooker Recipes
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1 for this recipe. I also own the 6 quart Instant Pot IP-LUX60 V3 Programmable Electric Pressure Cooker. They are both great pressure cookers! The first one I mentioned has a yogurt making function but other than that they are fairly similar. The price difference between the two is about $20.Print
Creamy and cheesy soup that is made so fast in your electric pressure cooker. Serve it with diced up dill pickle and tomatoes to get that authentic cheeseburger taste. Add crumbled bacon for bacon cheeseburger soup! Miss the bun? Make homemade croutons out of a toasted sesame seed bun to get the total effect. Bottom line…you need to make this today!
- 1 pound of ground beef (I used 80/20 and drained off the grease)*
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb Russet potatoes (about 2 large potatoes), cubed
- 1 large carrot, grated or finely diced
- 1 celery rib, finely diced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 (10 oz) can evaporated milk
- 2 cups medium or sharp grated cheddar cheese
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp water
- Diced pickles, tomatoes, lettuce for garnish
- Optional: sesame seed bun croutons (see notes section below)
- Turn your Instant Pot onto the saute function. Use the adjust button to set it to the medium setting. Once the pot has heated up, brown the beef and drain off all the extra grease. Saute the onion for 2-3 minutes, until it is translucent.
- Add in the broth. Keep the pot on the saute setting so that the broth will get heated up while you are preparing the rest of the ingredients. This will cut down on the time it takes your pot to come to pressure. Add in the potatoes, carrots, celery, salt, pepper, parsley, basil and garlic powder.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to “sealing.” Set the timer on manual high pressure to 5 minutes. When the timer beeps let the pot sit for about 10 minutes. Then release any pressure that remains.
- Stir in the evaporated milk. Make a cornstarch slurry by stirring the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl. Add the slurry to the pot. Turn the saute function on. Stir in the cornstarch mixture. The soup will thicken within just a couple of minutes. Add in the cheese and stir.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with diced pickles, tomatoes and lettuce. Serve with croutons, if desired.
*You can also use ground turkey for this recipe. I’ve made it both ways and they both are amazing.
Add a handful of cooked and crumbled bacon to make cheeseburger soup.
To make sesame seed hamburger bun croutons: Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cut 4 sesame seed hamburger buns into crouton size pieces. Add in the pieces of hamburger buns and cook until they are crunchy and lightly browned. Be sure to use tongs to rotate them so all sides are able to brown evenly.
Click here for the slow cooker version of this recipe.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot for this recipe.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
Send Me Your New Recipes
Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
This post contains affiliate links for Amazon. Each time you purchase something from Amazon that I’ve linked to I get a few pennies. Thanks so much for supporting my blog!