A twist on a popular and easy Betty Crocker recipe. It can be cooked in the Instant Pot (or the oven).
- 1 pound ground beef or ground sausage
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼–½ cup diced dill pickles
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ Tbsp shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Optional: diced tomatoes, ketchup and mustard
- Brown beef or sausage in a pan on the stove or using the sauté setting on your Instant Pot. Add in the onion and cook until onion is softened. Drain off any excess grease. Add in ½ tsp salt if using ground beef (omit salt if using ground sausage).
- Transfer the meat mixture into a pan that fits inside your Instant Pot (I use Fat Daddios 7×3 inch pan*). Clean out bottom of Instant Pot (if you used it to brown the meat).
- Sprinkle the pickles and cheese over the top of the meat.
- In a small mixing bowl stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Use a fork to cut in the shortening well. Stir in the milk and eggs until well blended. Pour mixture over the top.
- Pour 1 ½ cups water into bottom of Instant Pot. Cover the pan with a paper towel and then secure the top with foil. Place the pan on top of a trivet. Lower the trivet into the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the STEAM button to 25 minutes. When time is up move valve to venting. Remove the lid. Remove pan from Instant Pot. Remove the foil and paper towel.
- Crisp up the top by placing under your oven’s broiler or using your air fryer lid for about 3 minutes.
- Slice and serve topped with tomatoes, mustard and ketchup, if desired.
Alternately, you can bake this in the oven, uncovered for 30 minutes at 400°F.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot/Oven