Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup–an easy dump and go soup recipe that you can make in minutes in your electric pressure cooker.
Get the SLOW COOKER creamy tortilla soup recipe here
Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
I’ve been making this soup in the slow cooker for years and decided it was time to make an Instant Pot version. It turned out beautifully and my whole family agreed that it tasted awesome! I love how fast and easy this Instant Pot creamy chicken tortilla soup is to make. You literally dump all the ingredients into the pot and walk away.
It’s up to you on what chicken you want to use. You can use cooked chicken, uncooked thawed chicken or frozen chicken. I had a bunch of seasoned shredded chicken on hand because I prepped it earlier in the week. I threw that into the soup and the pot came to pressure quickly and the soup was done before I knew it.
One of the most fun parts of the soup is the toppings you can add at the end. Personally I think sliced avocados are non-negotiable. I also love to crunch up a few tortilla chips or corn chips on top of my soup.
More recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
An easy dump and go soup recipe that you can make in minutes in your electric pressure cooker.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs (can be frozen)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup picante sauce
- 1 (14.5) oz can petite diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 (13.75 oz) can cream of chicken soup (I use Campbell’s)
- 1 cup frozen corn or drained canned corn
- 1 (14 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: grated cheddar, sour cream, cilantro, avocado and tortilla chips
- Add chicken to the Instant Pot. Pour in the chicken broth. Dump the picante sauce, tomatoes, garlic powder, cumin, cream of chicken soup, corn and beans on top of the chicken. Don’t stir.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 10 minutes for thawed chicken or 12 minutes for frozen chicken. Alternately you can add in cooked chicken (like this chicken or rotisserie chicken) and you’ll only need to set the time to 5 minutes of pressure cook time.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid and stir the soup. Remove the chicken and shred or cut into bite size pieces and then stir the chicken back into the pot. Add in the red bell pepper. Salt and pepper the soup to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with your desired toppings.
Remember that it will take the pot 10-15 minutes to come to pressure. If the chicken is frozen the pot will take longer to come to pressure. You can speed up the process by turning on the saute function while adding in the ingredients and add in boiling chicken broth.
If you don’t like using cream of chicken soup you can leave it out. Add in a cup of heavy cream after the soup has cooked.
Keywords: dump and go, soup, chicken
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.