Instant Pot Garlic Beef Enchiladas—garlic seasoned ground beef layered with enchilada sauce, corn tortillas and shredded cheeses. An easy casserole version of enchiladas with lots of flavor.
Instant Pot Garlic Beef Enchiladas
This dinner was a slam dunk! It’s got so much garlic flavor thanks to the garlic powder, minced garlic and garlic salt. But don’t worry it’s not overpowering! It’s a layered casserole type of enchilada dish instead of individually rolled up enchiladas so it comes together quickly. It needs a 25 minute pressure cooking time and uses a quick release so dinner can be ready in less than an hour.
How to make Instant Pot Garlic Beef Enchiladas:
- Brown ground beef together with onions. I chose to do this step on the stove. But you can also use the sauté setting on your Instant Pot. If there is excess grease drain off the grease. Sometimes I use a paper towel to sop up some of the grease by moving the meat to one side of the pan and placing a paper towel on the other side of the pan and moving it around with a spoon.
- Stir seasonings, garlic, Rotel tomatoes and drained black beans in with the ground beef. Rotel tomatoes are canned tomatoes with a little hint of heat. The spice comes from green chiles that have been fire-roasted, diced and stirred into the simmering tomatoes. You can find a mild version of you’re adverse to spice.
- Layer ingredients into a pan that fits inside your Instant Pot. I used the Fat Daddios 7 inch x 4 inch pan* because it was tall enough to fit all the ingredients. You’ll layer 1/3 of the beef mixture, torn corn tortillas, red enchilada sauce and two types of cheeses. Then repeat that two more times. I used mild enchilada sauce. I used street taco size corn tortillas and tore each tortilla into quarters. I haven’t tried this recipe with flour tortillas and am not entirely positive how it would turn out. If you do give it a shot let me know!
- Cover the pan with foil and lower it into your Instant Pot with a trivet/sling. I use this OXO silicone sling*. The Instant Pot should have 1 to 1.5 cups of water in the bottom so that the pot can come to pressure.
- Pressure cook for 25 minutes and then release the pressure by moving the valve to venting. Remove the lid and the pan from the pot.
- Remove the foil and dig deep to scoop onto plates and then top with all your favorite toppings. Some topping ideas are cilantro, sour cream, diced avocados, diced red onion, diced tomatoes or jalapenos. Sour cream and halved cherry tomatoes were what I used on top of mine.
More Instant Pot Ground Beef Recipes…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
Garlic seasoned ground beef layered with enchilada sauce, corn tortillas and shredded cheeses. An easy casserole version of enchiladas.
Equipment needed: pan for pot-in-pot cooking and trivet/sling
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chilies)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 oz) can red enchilada sauce
- Corn tortillas, torn into 2 inch pieces (5 larger size or 12 street taco size)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded colby cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- Topping ideas: sour cream, cilantro, diced tomatoes, diced red onion, avocado, jalapenos
- In a pan on the stove or in your Instant Pot using the sauté setting brown the ground beef and onions together for about 5 minutes. Drain off any excess grease.
- Add in the garlic, garlic powder, garlic salt, cumin, chili powder, Rotel and black beans. Stir.
- In a 7 inch by 4 inch pan* layer the following ingredients 3 times: ⅓ of the meat mixture, ⅓ of the torn tortillas, ⅓ of the cheeses, ⅓ of the enchilada sauce.
- Clean out Instant Pot (if used) and pour 1 cup water into the bottom of it.
- Cover the pan with foil. Place on a trivet/sling*. Lower the pan into the Instant Pot.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 25 minutes. When time is up move the valve to venting.
- Remove the lid and the pan. Scoop onto plates and enjoy with desired toppings.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can make this in the 8 quart pot with no changes (except to use 1.5 cups or water underneath trivet instead of 1 cup).
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.