Makes 4 servings
3 small onions, sliced into thin rings
4 Tbsp canola oil
Pinch of salt, pepper, and sugar
2 (13.75 oz) cans beef consomme
1/2 cup water
Pinch of dried thyme, optional
4 slices of Swiss cheese
4 slices of crusty bread (French bread or a baguette works well)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
2. Sprinkle with oil, salt, pepper and sugar and stir until onions are coated.
3. Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or HIGH for 5-6 hours, until onions are soft and caramelized.
4. Pour in consomme and water into slow cooker and cook until warmed. Add in thyme, if wanted. Salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
5. Ladle soup into 4 bowls that are oven safe. Place a piece of bread on top of each serving of soup. Place large piece of Swiss on top of bread. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
6. Place bowls on a cookie sheet and put under broiler for a minute or so, until cheese is melted and starts to get a little brown. Serve and enjoy!
This is such an easy recipe! And it turned out beautifully. My husband thought it was just as good as the French onion soup that we order on the cruises that we’ve gone on. I like not having to babysit the onions like you have to when you caramelize them on the stove top. They just cook all day and then add a few things, stick it under a broiler and boom you’re done! 3 1/2 stars.
Leave a Reply