Savory, flavorful and cheesy! If you love the flavors of french onion soup you will love this easy Instant Pot casserole recipe.
- 1 pound lean or extra lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, large dice
- 1 ¼ cups beef broth or water
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (see notes for white rice adjustments)
- 1 (1 oz) package onion soup mix
- ½ cup grated Gruyere cheese (you can also use Swiss or mozzarella)
- Turn Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the beef and break it up*. Add in the onion. Brown the beef for about 5 minutes. If there is excess grease drain it off.
- Pour in the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot clean. Turn off the Instant Pot. Add in the rice and the onion soup mix. Press the rice down to submerge in the liquid.
- Cover the Instant Pot and set the manual/pressure cook button to 27 minutes on high pressure. Make sure valve is set to sealing. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir and then sprinkle in the cheese and let it melt.
- Scoop onto plates and serve.
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. Make in the 3 or 8 quart with no changes.
Can I use white rice instead of brown rice? Yes! If you use white rice then change the broth/water amount to 1 ½ cups and only pressure cook for 10 minutes with the 5 minute natural pressure release.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 27 minutes (plus 10 minute NPR)
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot