A saucy ground beef casserole topped with mashed potatoes and a bit of cheddar cheese. A complete dinner all in one dish.
Equipment needed: steamer basket and air fryer lid (optional)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ pounds red potatoes, washed and cut into cubes
- 1 (12 oz) bag frozen peas
- ½ cup milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Get peas out of the freezer and set on counter.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté. When the display says HOT add in the beef and break it up. Add in the onions. Brown for about 5 minutes. Drain off any excess grease. Stir in the kosher salt and black pepper.
- Pour in the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Dump in the tomatoes, ketchup and Italian seasoning. Don’t’ stir.
- Place the potatoes in a steamer basket*. Place the steamer basket on top of the beef/tomatoes. It will get dirty on the bottom, it’s okay.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 8 minutes. When time is up move valve to venting and remove the lid. Remove the steamer basket from the pot. Pour the potatoes into a bowl.
- Pour the peas into the Instant Pot and stir. Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting to heat the peas through. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Mash the potatoes well and stir in the milk and butter, until melted. Salt and pepper the potatoes to taste.
- Air fryer lid option: Scoop and smooth the potatoes over the top of the beef/peas. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the potatoes. Put the air fryer lid on top and turn it on 400° F for 5 minutes. Oven option: Pour the mixture from Instant Pot into a 9×9 inch baking dish. Scoop and smooth the potatoes over the top. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake for 15 minutes at 400° F.
- Scoop onto plates and enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1* and Mealthy CrispLid.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot/Air fryer lid