Instant Pot Creamy Dill Chicken–chicken with garlic, lemon pepper, dill, and lemon juice encoated in creamy yogurt and then wrapped in a warm pita with diced cucumbers and cherry tomatoes. A perfect summer meal!
Get the SLOW COOKER creamy dill chicken recipe here
Instant Pot Creamy Dill Chicken
If you’re a fan of creamy yogurt tzatziki sauce then I think you’ll love this Instant Pot creamy dill chicken. I’m one of those people that slathers on tzatziki sauce when I go out for greek food. I thought to myself why not just completely coat the chicken in the sauce? So that’s what I did.
Basically you cook the chicken in the Instant Pot with lots of yummy seasonings, shred it and then stir in yogurt and cucumbers. Plus I love to add in lots of fresh garlic, fresh lemon juice and kosher salt and black pepper. It’s a simple meal that tastes so fresh and delicious.
For optimal flavor and taste use full fat Greek yogurt. I make my own with whole milk and it’s amazing. And use boneless, skinless chicken thighs for the best texture and taste. Breasts will also work but they aren’t as succulent. Of course use whatever your family likes best and what is best for your particular diet.
I love to serve this dill chicken on pitas, kind of like gyros. Have you seen the new Papa’s brand pitas? They are sprouted wheat, organic, and vegan and they taste great. Not as fluffy and soft as the original white pitas but they are healthier and more filling. I find my pitas at Costco but I’ve also seen them in the deli section of Walmart and Smiths.
More Greek-Style Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love…
Instant Pot Greek Lemon Dill Chicken Bowls
Instant Pot Homemade Greek Yogurt
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Creamy Dill Chicken I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
Instant Pot Creamy Dill Chicken
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes (plus 5 minute NPR)
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
Chicken with garlic, lemon pepper, dill, and lemon juice encoated in creamy yogurt and then wrapped in a warm pita with diced cucumbers and cherry tomatoes. A perfect summer meal!
For the chicken:
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts (frozen is okay)
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 2 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
For the sauce:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used full fat yogurt for optimal taste)
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced into tiny pieces
- Dill, minced garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste
Ideas for serving:
- Pita bread
- Diced cucumber
- Sliced red onion
- Halved cherry tomatoes
- Feta Cheese
- Add lemon juice, broth and vinegar into the Instant Pot. Toss in the quartered onion. Place the chicken on top of the onion in one layer, if possible. Sprinkle the garlic, dill, lemon pepper and salt over the chicken.
- Cover and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 12 minutes (thawed chicken breasts) or 15 minutes (frozen chicken/chicken thighs). When the time is up let the pressure release naturally for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Place chicken on a cutting board. Shred the chicken or cut it into pieces. Discard the onion and the juices. Add the chicken back into the pot.
- Stir in the greek yogurt and cucumber to coat the chicken. Then add in dill, garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Squeeze a little fresh lemon juice into the pot as well. YUM!! Serve the chicken in pitas, in lettuce wraps or as a chicken sandwich of sorts.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Greek
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
I love this recipe! Its delicious hot and even better cold. Do you have any suggestions for an alternative for the Greek Yogurt? My husband is extremely lactose intolerant.
Yikes I don’t know. The yogurt is kind of what makes it good in my opinion!
Maybe mayo? Worth a try, in my opinion.
I’ve never had good luck with pitas. The ones pictured look like restaurant quality. What brand do you use and where do you purchase them? Thanks for all the great recipes!
I got these at Costco and they are the Papa Pita brand. I LOVE them.
Hi Karen. Looks delicious and refreshing. For an 8 at. pot, should I increase liquid in bottom??
I’d recommend reading this article. https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/how-to-halve-instant-pot-recipes/
It will help you understand that question a lot better.
Hi Karen, if we’re making this and want to keep some as leftovers, would you recommend not mixing the chicken with the sauce? I’m concerned about how the sauce will be affected if we reheat it later in the microwave. Thanks!
yes that’s a good idea. It probably would be weird reheated.
Will this cook ok without the onions, does there need to be something in between the chicken and the bottom? (Hubby HATES onions)
You can just put the chicken on a trivet.