Instant Pot Crazy Good Casserole—chicken, cheese and bacon?! A sure crowd pleaser! Make it fast in your Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Crazy Good Casserole
I found this recipe somewhere on facebook and the author called it crazy good casserole. Her version was made on the stovetop and in the oven. Mine, of course, is simplified and made all in one pot, the Instant Pot. This makes clean up a breeze! It’s a cheesy pasta bake with crispy bacon and tender bites of chicken. Both my kids loved this and they enjoyed the leftovers the next day.
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can also make this in a 3 or 8 quart pot with no changes.
- I used a fun pasta I found at Smiths called Italian Trottole. It was like a wider, less curly rotini. You can also use elbow macaroni, cavatappi, bowties, penne, small shells, etc.
- I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs which turned out really tasty when lightly sauteed in the bacon grease and cut across the grain. You can also use chicken breasts or chicken tenderloins although they won’t be as moist and tender. Another choice would be to use sliced smoked sausage for a flavor boost!
- You can use whatever cheese you like best or a combination of cheeses. Try cheddar, mozzarella, parmesan, pepperjack etc.
- I used 4 ounces of cream cheese but I think it would be even better (duh) with 8 ounces of cream cheese. You can just lay it on top of the pasta and it gets all soft and you can easily stir it into the pasta.
- I kept thinking that this would be good with some diced tomatoes or sundried tomatoes. I just love tomatoes. I also think it would be good with some chopped spinach or some steamed broccoli stirred in. Try topping it with some crispy panko breadcrumbs and browning it up with your air fryer lid. So many ideas of ways to make it in the future!
More Amazing Instant Pot Recipes…
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
Chicken, cheese and bacon?! A sure crowd pleaser! Make it fast in your Instant Pot.
- 3 pieces of bacon
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
- 8 oz spiral pasta (like rotini)
- 4–8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. Use kitchen shears to cut up the raw bacon into 1 inch pieces. Add the bacon into the Instant Pot and let it cook.
- While the bacon pieces are cooking cut the excess fat off the thicken thighs and cut the thighs (across the grain) into bite size pieces.
- When the bacon is crispy use a slotted spoon to move it to a paper towel lined plate.
- Toss the chicken pieces into the bacon grease that remains in the Instant Pot. Lightly brown the chicken pieces for a couple minutes Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and poultry seasoning. Pour the water into the pot and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking.
- Add in the bouillon base and the pasta. Add the cream cheese on top (use anywhere between 4 and 8 ounces). Don’t stir.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 4 minutes. When time is up let pot sit there for 5 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid. Stir.
- Sprinkle the cheese and the bacon on top. Let the cheese melt. (I used my crisper lid for this part…air fry setting at 400° F for 2 minutes).
- Scoop up and serve.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.