Instant Pot Cowboy Casserole is an easy, hearty, beefy tomato pasta dish with melty cheese that will keep your little and big cowboys happy and full. Yee-haw!
Instant Pot Cowboy Casserole
Viki a women that belongs to the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipe Facebook Group shared her stove-top recipe for something she calls cowboy casserole. She said that she makes this for potlucks and for her granddaughter’s volleyball team when it came her turn to feed them. I was intrigued and, of course, knew that I needed to make my own version in the Instant Pot. As described by Viki it, “is basically homemade hamburger helper; only better.” She was right. It’s a hearty beefy tomato pasta dish with melty cheese. And it’s delicious. And 900 times better than the stuff in a box. Greg literally had 3 helpings.
I loved the use of the wagon wheel pasta. I have always noticed these circular pasta noodles in the bulk bins at Winco but have never used them. They seem like a throwback to childhood and I liked their shape, texture and way they were coated in sauce. You can also use the cavatappi pasta or elbow macaroni noodles.
You’ll also love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Cowboy Casserole I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
An easy homemade hamburger pasta meal that will keep your little and big cowboys happy and full. Yee-haw!
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 3/4 cups beef broth
- 8 oz (about 2 1/2 cups) uncooked wagon wheel pasta
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 (2.25 oz) can sliced olives (optional)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/3 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the ground beef and break it up. Add in the onions. Add in the 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper. Brown the beef for about 5 minutes. If there is excess grease drain it off.
- Add in the beef broth and scrape the bottom of the pot. Add in the pasta in an even layer over the top of the beef. Layer the diced tomatoes over the top of the pasta. Scoop the tomato paste in dollops over the top of the tomatoes. Add in olives, if desired. Sprinkle the ½ tsp pepper, ½ tsp salt, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and sugar over the top. Do not stir.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 4 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for another 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir the pasta until it is coated in the meat and sauce. Sprinkle the mozzarella and parmesan cheese on top and let melt. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
I loved the wagon wheel pasta but if you can’t find them use cavatappi pasta or elbow macaroni noodles.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.