Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff—creamy sour cream sauce envelopes egg noodles, tender bites of chicken and mushrooms. All made in one pot, your Instant Pot!
Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff
Creamy and flavorful! I got 2 thumbs up from all my family members on this recipe. I will definitely be making this again! And it was such an easy dump and go recipe!
The coolest thing about this recipe is making the noodles at the same time and in the same pot. Because there is only a 2 minute pressure cooking time the fragile egg noodles hold up quite well.
How can the chicken cook in 2 minutes?
- Chicken is cut into small bite-size pieces so it cooks quickly
- Chicken is placed on the bottom of the pot so it’s close to the heating element
- Chicken is cooking the entire time the pot is coming to pressure and even while the pressure is releasing.
Can I use a different type of noodles?
Yes! Rotini, penne, bowtie pasta, elbow macaroni are all good choices. To figure out pressure cooking time for other types of pasta, take the number of cooking minutes on the back of the box, divide by 2 and subtract 1 minutes (for example, 12 minutes on stove would be 5 minute pressure cooking time).
What if I don’t want the pasta?
If you’re trying to make this dish low carb just cook the chicken and mushrooms with the sauce. You won’t need as much liquid since the pasta doesn’t need to cook. Only add in 1 cup of broth instead of 2. Serve over riced cauliflower.
How can I get tender chicken?
When you cut the chicken breasts make sure to slice across the grain. Then cut each of those wider strips crosswise into bite size cubes. All muscle has a grain to it. The placement of your knife to this grain will determine the length of the muscle fibers in an individual slice of meat, which in turn will have a profound effect on how tender or tough that meat is.
Can I use frozen chicken?
This recipe relies on chicken cubes cooking for only a 2 minute pressure cooking time so that the pasta holds up and doesn’t overcook. So whole frozen chicken breasts won’t work in this recipe. If you have frozen cubes of chicken that will probably work okay.
What if I don’t like mushrooms?
Sad day for you! You don’t have to add in the mushrooms. However since the mushrooms are placed on top of the dry noodles and they release moisture they help to cook the pasta evenly. I can’t say for sure how your pasta will turn out if you don’t add in the mushrooms. You may want to increase the broth amount by a quarter cup.
More Chicken Instant Pot Recipes…
Creamy sour cream sauce envelopes egg noodles, tender bites of chicken and mushrooms. All made in one pot, your Instant Pot!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 8 oz uncooked egg noodles
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 8–16 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch + 2 Tbsp water
- 1–2 Tbsp Worcestershire
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the chicken slightly against the grain into large slices. Then cut each of those wider strips crosswise into bite size cubes. Place chicken into Instant Pot. Add in the kosher salt, pepper, dill, garlic powder. Toss the chicken to coat in the seasonings.
- Add in egg noodles on top of chicken in an even layer. Then pour the broth over the top. Add mushrooms on top of the noodles in an even layer.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 2 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir the contents of the pot. Add ¼ cup of liquid from pot into the sour cream and stir to temper it. Add sour cream into the pot. In a small bowl stir together the cornstarch and water until smooth. Turn Instant Pot to saute and add in the cornstarch slurry. Contents of pot will thicken quickly. Turn off Instant Pot. Add in the Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Scoop onto plates and serve.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can make this in the 8 or 3 quart pot with no changes.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.