Instant Pot Asiago Chicken—tender bites of chicken with a creamy asiago and mushroom sauce.
Instant Pot Asiago Chicken
If you’re looking for pure comfort food I’ve got a great recipe for you today. The creamy, flavorful asiago sauce is so good you’re going to be licking it off your plate.
A few notes about the recipe:
Keto/Low Carb: If you’re eating the keto diet you could easily leave out the flour of this recipe and use a low carb thickener in its place.
Chicken: I used frozen boneless, skinless chicken thighs but you can also use breasts or bone-in chicken. I prefer the thigh meat because it is so tender and succulent. I added the different cooking times for the different chicken cuts in the recipe below.
Mushrooms: I used very small white button mushrooms so I ended up cooking them whole. If you have normal or large mushrooms wash them off, pat them dry with a paper towel and then quarter them. If you are a mushroom hater you can leave them out!
Asiago cheese: This cheese has a flavor reminiscent to Parmesan but is a bit nuttier and creamier. You can find asiago cheese by the other cheeses at your grocery store. I grated about 3 ounces of the cheese off the block. I like using my digital scale* to measure cheese. Sometimes it’s hard to measure cheese accurately in a dry measuring cup.
Heavy cream: I love me some heavy cream but you can also use half and half or evaporated milk instead.
You’ll also love…Print
Tender bites of chicken with a creamy asiago and mushroom sauce.
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 8 oz mushrooms, quartered (pat them dry with a paper towel)
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 2 pounds chicken (see note)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4–1/2 cup flour
- 3 oz grated asiago cheese
- Turn the Instant Pot on the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the butter and let it melt. Add in the onions, mushrooms, parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper and saute for about 5 minutes. Then stir in the chicken broth and vinegar. Nestle the chicken into the pot.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes for fresh chicken breasts or thighs (18 minute for frozen breasts, thighs or bone-in chicken). When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- In a large glass measuring cup measure out the heavy cream. Temper the cream by whisking in a few tablespoons of the hot liquid. Then slowly whisk in a tablespoon of flour at a time into the mixture until smooth and creamy. If you want a thick sauce use ½ cup flour and less for a thinner sauce.
- Use a large spoon to move the chicken pieces to a platter. Then turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. Stir in the flour/cream mixture a little at a time and whisk until creamy. The sauce will thicken as it boils for a couple of minutes. Once the sauce is thickened turn off the pot and stir in the Asiago cheese until it is melted.
- Spoon the sauce and mushrooms over the chicken and serve. We ate ours with noodles but you serve with mashed potatoes, riced cauliflower, zoodles or rice too.
Chicken: I used frozen boneless, skinless chicken thighs but you can also use breasts or bone-in chicken.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.