Instant Pot Garlic Rice and Chicken-–brown rice is cooked with fresh garlic and tender bites of chicken. Parmesan cheese and asparagus (or broccoli) are stirred in to make a perfect one pot meal.
Get the SLOW COOKER Garlic Rice and Chicken recipe here
Instant Pot Garlic Rice and Chicken
This is a lovely one pot meal. The brown rice cooks perfectly in the Instant Pot with no worrying about water boiling over. The garlic and butter give a nice flavor to the rice. No cream soups are used but the rice almost as a creamy quality to it. The chicken thighs get fork tender. The asparagus is added after the chicken and rice are pressure cooked so that it is does not get overcooked and limp. This is just a solid dinner idea for a weeknight that has all the things (whole grain, vegetable, protein) but doesn’t require a ton of effort. My whole family agreed that this was a great dinner.
What if I want to use chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs? You can. I would use frozen chicken breasts that are thick. Because the brown rice uses a longer cooking time (22 minutes) the chicken thighs work really well because they don’t get overdone.
More recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Garlic Rice and Chicken I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
Brown rice is cooked with fresh garlic and tender bites of chicken. Parmesan cheese and asparagus (or broccoli) are stirred in to make a perfect one pot meal.
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 ¼ cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (frozen is okay)
- ½ cup shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large bunch of asparagus, washed and cut into 1 inch pieces (see note)
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the butter. Swirl the pot around so the butter melts. Add in the onion and saute for 4-5 minutes. Add in the minced garlic and stir for about 20 seconds. Add in the brown rice and stir to coat the rice in butter and onions. Stir in the chicken broth, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Nestle the chicken on top of the rice.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 22 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit there for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Use tongs to remove the chicken and place it on a cutting board. Stir in the parmesan cheese and the asparagus. Cover the pot so the warm rice can “cook” the asparagus. Cut the chicken into pieces and add it back in. Salt and pepper to taste. When asparagus gets to your desired softness serve and enjoy. I like my asparagus with a little crispness so it didn’t take much time at all. Plus my asparagus spears were pretty skinny.
If you prefer you can use broccoli florets in the place of asparagus. Cut a head of broccoli into small florets so they can cook quickly. Follow the directions above as written. You can also use frozen broccoli. Run hot water over the broccoli before adding it into the pot.
If you prefer white meat over the dark thighs you can use thick chicken breasts. Because the rice needs to cook for 22 minutes the chicken can get a little overcooked. Using thick chicken breasts helps with that.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.