Creamy, comforting risotto-like rice with chicken thighs, garlic, onions, mushrooms, kale and cheese.
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups uncooked arborio rice (very important to use this rice for the creamy consistency)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ¾ tsp garlic salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (frozen is fine)
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When the display says HOT add in the butter. Let it melt and then add in the onion. Sauté for about 3 minutes. Then add in garlic and the rice and sauté for 1 minute.
- Stir in 1 cup of the broth. Let the rice soak up the broth for 2-3 minutes. While it’s soaking up add in the garlic salt, pepper, paprika and onion powder.
- Turn off the sauté setting. Add in the rest of the broth. Scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking.
- Add in the chicken, mushrooms and kale.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 10 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Scoop onto plates and serve.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can make this in your 8 quart pot with no changes. Halve the recipe in your 3 quart pot (same cooking time).
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot