Creamy and cheesy soup that is made so fast in your electric pressure cooker. Serve it with diced up dill pickle and tomatoes to get that authentic cheeseburger taste. Add crumbled bacon for bacon cheeseburger soup! Miss the bun? Make homemade croutons out of a toasted sesame seed bun to get the total effect. Bottom line…you need to make this today!
- 1 pound of ground beef (I used 80/20 and drained off the grease)*
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb Russet potatoes (about 2 large potatoes), cubed
- 1 large carrot, grated or finely diced
- 1 celery rib, finely diced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 (10 oz) can evaporated milk
- 2 cups medium or sharp grated cheddar cheese
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp water
- Diced pickles, tomatoes, lettuce for garnish
- Optional: sesame seed bun croutons (see notes section below)
- Turn your Instant Pot onto the saute function. Use the adjust button to set it to the medium setting. Once the pot has heated up, brown the beef and drain off all the extra grease. Saute the onion for 2-3 minutes, until it is translucent.
- Add in the broth. Keep the pot on the saute setting so that the broth will get heated up while you are preparing the rest of the ingredients. This will cut down on the time it takes your pot to come to pressure. Add in the potatoes, carrots, celery, salt, pepper, parsley, basil and garlic powder.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to “sealing.” Set the timer on manual high pressure to 5 minutes. When the timer beeps let the pot sit for about 10 minutes. Then release any pressure that remains.
- Stir in the evaporated milk. Make a cornstarch slurry by stirring the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl. Add the slurry to the pot. Turn the saute function on. Stir in the cornstarch mixture. The soup will thicken within just a couple of minutes. Add in the cheese and stir.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with diced pickles, tomatoes and lettuce. Serve with croutons, if desired.
*You can also use ground turkey for this recipe. I’ve made it both ways and they both are amazing.
Add a handful of cooked and crumbled bacon to make cheeseburger soup.
To make sesame seed hamburger bun croutons: Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cut 4 sesame seed hamburger buns into crouton size pieces. Add in the pieces of hamburger buns and cook until they are crunchy and lightly browned. Be sure to use tongs to rotate them so all sides are able to brown evenly.
Click here for the slow cooker version of this recipe.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot for this recipe.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot